Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 109
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Totally agree with Bald....I'm doing the same thing, as the pre-paid $ is coming in now from long standing, trusting customers. As I've posted before, my family has been in this area, serving these folks for over 60 years. This has never been, nor will it ever be a "get rich" business regardless of how some "slick" types try and sell everyone on the idea. Steady business, for a lot of years with decent income and benefits for employees coupled with thousands of satisfied customers......yeah, it's a "novel" concept!!!
    That's where we've been as well....but I'm always open to explore new ideas and opportunities that make sense.

    It's hard to pay a guy $20-25 per hour to go and do 4 clean and checks per day without generating any additional income. The math doesn't work.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,073
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    That's where we've been as well....but I'm always open to explore new ideas and opportunities that make sense.

    It's hard to pay a guy $20-25 per hour to go and do 4 clean and checks per day without generating any additional income. The math doesn't work.
    Then you need to be charging more for tune ups. You shouldn't have to lose money on ANY call.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Then you need to be charging more for tune ups. You shouldn't have to lose money on ANY call.
    Tune-ups must be competitively priced to get the customer to sign up.

    If everyone else is selling tune-ups for $69. You can price yours at $129, but you aren't going to get much action.

    Something for the OP to ponder.....

    If you're running a service truck for an HVAC contractor.....you can rest assured that if you're only generating $400 per day.....at ANY pay scale or methodology....you won't be employed there very long.

    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,073
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Tune-ups must be competitively priced to get the customer to sign up.

    If everyone else is selling tune-ups for $69. You can price yours at $129, but you aren't going to get much action:
    I don't agree with that because of the simple fact that we are a lot higher than any competitor. Actually double what many of them charge. And we do hundreds (close to a thousand) of them. Mostly repeat customers. I have only in the last 2 weeks dipped below 40 hours since last spring. We were still finishing up heating tune ups 3 weeks ago.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I don't agree with that because of the simple fact that we are a lot higher than any competitor. Actually double what many of them charge. And we do hundreds (close to a thousand) of them. Mostly repeat customers. I have only in the last 2 weeks dipped below 40 hours since last spring. We were still finishing up heating tune ups 3 weeks ago.
    Your market must be different than ours. Here, tuneups are priced from $39.95 to $69.00.

    A $100.00. tune up around here would generate zilch.

    Heating tune ups? We've been doing spring A/C tune ups for the last 3 weeks
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    N.E. Indiana
    Posts
    879
    [shaking my head]

    Funny how one business owner thinks he has all the answers. I couldn't disagree more with him in most situations.

    I DO however, agree with several other business folks. If you price yourself out of business, thats where you'll end up. Do good work and price it accordingly. People that don't want to pay a fair, or going rate, nothing ever makes them happy anyway. And likely, they have "problems" paying at job completion too.

    "Upselling" to me, unless truely necessary, seems immoral and illogical to an honest person. If I was told to keep dumping several hundred dollars in a unit (be it A/C or heat) every year, I would either replace the costly unit or find a new service company. You come back two years in a row telling me I need to add refirgerant, I would send you on your merry way for not finding the leak the first time.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    [shaking my head]

    Funny how one business owner thinks he has all the answers. I couldn't disagree more with him in most situations.
    Good....then shut your yap, and SHOW everyone that YOU know what you're talking about.....

    Talk is cheap. Show us all what you got.....(besides hot air)
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    "Upselling" to me, unless truely necessary, seems immoral and illogical to an honest person.
    "Upselling" is a fact of life....everywhere you go....

    "You want fries with that?"

    "Would you like a car charger for your new phone?"

    "What color shirt would you like to go with that new suit?"

    "Would you like the extended warranty with that?"

    "Would you like the matching end tables to go with that sofa and love seat?"

    "Did you save some room for dessert?"

    Lots of immoral, illogical, dishonest people out there, huh?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Phoenix,AZ
    Posts
    2,877
    Most people who call for maintenance own a POS that isn't worth dumping any money in. And then when you do sell them a new system. They quit calling for Pm's. Serious!!!

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    greenville , sc
    Posts
    718

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    $4500 won't buy much of a system

    You sound like you've already made up your mind.

    As for me personally, I dig the concept of more work/sales = more munny.

    It's called "entreprenurial spirit"......good stuff....
    john, alot of guys who never see the buisness end of the trade will not look for opritunities to upsell or sell period. they get a check , for the most part, whether the sell or not. but this industry is one where you have to look at the entire picture ..... if i dont earn money i dont eat. it really is that simple. now guys working for me , ehhh, they work hard and if they dont make money , well they can earn unemployeement and get food stamps..... im not trying to change the subject it's just that as an owner/partner you see the money trail. where as a hourly tech only sees a check.
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,073
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Your market must be different than ours. Here, tuneups are priced from $39.95 to $69.00.

    A $100.00. tune up around here would generate zilch.

    Heating tune ups? We've been doing spring A/C tune ups for the last 3 weeks
    Then how can we keep selling $100 tune ups and stay busy when our competitors offer them for $60? (Its actually a lot higher, I just won't put our exact prices on the forum)

    Your tune ups must only take 20 minutes.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Most people who call for maintenance own a POS that isn't worth dumping any money in. And then when you do sell them a new system. They quit calling for Pm's. Serious!!!
    If it isn't worth the money to repair, then you have a sales opportunity dropped in your lap. Do you know the forumula to calculate and show your customer the annual operating cost of the old system versus the new?

    Is that being unethical? SHOW them the cost savings over the next 3-4 years, plus today's repair bill, and the reality of at least one more similar repair bill over that same 3-4 years.....and you discover that you're 1/3 to 1/2 way to the cost of a new system.....In many cases, they're already making payments on a new one.....it's just going to the utility company....

    As to the PMs on new systems.....show them the warranty....highlight the part where it's required to provide maintenance on the new system to maintain warranty status.

    Is showing the customer the terms of the warranty unethical?

    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Then how can we keep selling $100 tune ups and stay busy when our competitors offer them for $60? (Its actually a lot higher, I just won't put our exact prices on the forum)

    Your tune ups must only take 20 minutes.
    Our tuneups take about an hour and a half...but there's typically something that needs attention.

    If you get $100+ for a tune up....groovy It doesn't happen around here. Nobody's knocking your getting it.....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event