Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I am a little concerned about income potential . If you are doing 4-5 clean and checks a day and are not able to sell any additional services. That would work out to about 17 •5= $85 a day .. They told me no more then 4 calls a day.. They expect you to spend 1 1/2 hours to an hour and 45 on every call. They expect you to sit down at the kitchen table and talk/sell products during this time..

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    I am a little concerned about income potential . If you are doing 4-5 clean and checks a day and are not able to sell any additional services. That would work out to about 17 •5= $85 a day .. They told me no more then 4 calls a day.. They expect you to spend 1 1/2 hours to an hour and 45 on every call. They expect you to sit down at the kitchen table and talk/sell products during this time..
    Have you ever gone to buy a suit, and the salesperson offered you a shirt, tie, shoes, or belt?

When you buy a phone, do they offer you a cover, charger, insurance, etc.?

When you go to Arby's and order a roast beef sandwich, do they offer you an apple turnover?

Let's go back to my earlier post. When you go to do a clean and check, do you look at each system as if it were yours? Do you see things that could be done to improve that system? Your clean and check customer is depending on YOU, to make sure that their system is in top-notch condition.

That's why you're there. You were invited into their home, to make sure that they have peace of mind regarding their HVAC system.

Selling is not all that hard, and you don't have to be pushy. Just be observant and honest. Do you see a salt lamp anywhere in the house? Do you see excessive dust on the return grills? Those are clear opportunities to offer air quality upgrades.

If you saw a nail in your wife's car tire (even if it wasn't flat yet) would you not point it out and/or address it?

Selling isn't evil....any more than profit is. Now, if you LIE, or misrepresent in order to sell, that's a horse of a different color.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

To be honest, if you're doing 4-5 clean and checks a day, and not finding something that needs attention, you're probably overlooking things.

You can build a great reputation by being thorough. Do you just fix the immediate problem? Or, do you go over the unit carefully, and resolve any other issues you find in order to avoid a call-back?

You can replace a contactor today.....and if the condenser fan motor dies a month from now, your CUSTOMER will see it as a call-back, whether we agree with them or not.

The worst thing you can do, is go on a clean and check, declare the system fit and ready without any repairs or add-ons.....then have it crap out in July.

Another way to look at this offer is if doing four calls a day. That works out to 17•4= $68 a day.. Which is $8.50 an hour plus commissions.. How many would even look at this offer??

Trying to sort out your math. How much are their clean and checks?

How much is a guy who only does clean and checks without any additional work worth in the resi market?

[yawn]

I don't think selling is evil either. But I think replacing something that isn't obviously worn out or broke just may be bordering on dishonest.....

If I took my car to me mechanic to have it checked out before a road trip, and he had this long list of stuff that needed fixed, or ALWAYS found something "wrong" with the vehicle every time it was checked, I could add two and two and figure out he was likely sticking it to me.

But then again I am not a politician, and actor, a business owner, nor do I have a degree in business. But I DO have common sense AND life experience.

Well the diagnostic fee/service call is $100.00 ..= $17 to the tech. There is no gaurantee they will go with your recommend repair when they hear the price of the repair.. If techs could truly make 100k .. Why would they ever quit? Why would the company constantly be running job ads throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    Well the diagnostic fee/service call is $100.00 ..= $17 to the tech. There is no gaurantee they will go with your recommend repair when they hear the price of the repair.. If techs could truly make 100k .. Why would they ever quit? Why would the company constantly be running job ads throughout the year.
    Because many techs prefer hourly pay that is not tied to any performance factors.

A pure commission system is high-risk, high reward for the employee. It's not for everyone.

A guy who really hustles can haul in some good dough.....A guy who is more laid back and desires greater "security", can have that security, but with lesser reward.

One size does not fit all....You have to decide what fits your personal goals and personality best.

Keep in mind.....that every one-man shop is in reality, a "pure commission" system as well....high-risk, high-reward....

Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    But then again I am not a politician, and actor, a business owner, nor do I have a degree in business. But I DO have common sense AND life experience.
    And NO experience in the HVAC field.....

YAWN.....The gas-bag is back.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    And NO experience in the HVAC field.....

YAWN.....The gas-bag is back.....
    Yeah Johnny, I am taking classes, but I wouldn't know a TXV from a compressor....

Guess that would mean too, I wouldn't know a shyster, if I saw one either.

Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    Yeah Johnny, I am taking classes, but I wouldn't know a TXV from a compressor....

Guess that would mean too, I wouldn't know a shyster, if I saw one either.
    We're all still waiting for you to open your own shop, so you can show us all how it's done.....

In the meantime, keep demonstrating your ignorance.

Instead of following me around and derailing threads, your time might be better spent acquiring some business knowledge........oops, I forgot, you already know it all.....

I'm sitting here entering service invoices. Most I've had are cleans, either PPD or not. Since these are units maintained annually, the pretty much need to be washed and checked out. At most they get a 1/2 pound or a pound of gas here and there and once in a while, replace a weak run cap. The guys are paid by the hour. If they made 17%, they would have to talk people into stuff that isn't needed to make any money. And to me, talking people into additives, superboosts, new motors when the old one runs fine is selling stuff that isn't needed.

We see what the others are doing. Customers call with a no cool and suddenly that dead run cap or contactor turns into a $1500 quote or more likely, the system is shot, I can have a salesman here in an hour!

Totally agree with Bald....I'm doing the same thing, as the pre-paid $ is coming in now from long standing, trusting customers. As I've posted before, my family has been in this area, serving these folks for over 60 years. This has never been, nor will it ever be a "get rich" business regardless of how some "slick" types try and sell everyone on the idea. Steady business, for a lot of years with decent income and benefits for employees coupled with thousands of satisfied customers......yeah, it's a "novel" concept!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast