Thread: Broken off suction reed pin

Post Likes
    How can I get the darn thing out of the body? One came out but the other is broken off and stuck in the body. Any help is appreciated.
    I'm only working because it's not duck season!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    electro magnet!!!!! like from a mag base drill, they usually arn't fit too tight. or file flat with matting surface and undersize the drill hole into it,m chances are the bit will grab it and you can spin it out.

Post Likes
    Most rebuild shops use a jig to drill out about a 1/4" hole, and then fit a pin that size flush with the body, then drill out a smaller hole in that pin to accomidate the plate pin. A lot of work....Try the magnet first!

Post Likes
    Is this a carlyle 06E or 06D? Try the magnet trick first. Sometimes you can get them out with oil seal picks or maybe dikes if you can get a bite on it. Those pins are a very hard metal, carbide, if memory serves. A regular drill bit will hardly scratch it. One time long ago in a land far away, there was a young HVAC mechanic doing valve inspections on a group of 06E compressors. He learned the hard way your not supposed to whack it from the side with a BFH. The pins may break. Since my boss had just bought the company and he was cheap, we devised a plan. Tried everything to drill out one broken pin to save an other wise good compressor. Finally ended up using(don't laugh it worked) a good carbide tip masonry bit. Drilled the hole big enough to tap it for a 3/8-16 bolt. Screw bolt into body tight. Cut off bolt and file flush with compressor body.take a valve plate and drill pin hole the rest of the way through. Put the valve plate on the other three pins to get alignment right. Bolt it down with shorter bolts if you want. Then drill new pin hole using valve plate as guide. New hole will be in bolt. Careful not to drill to deep. Better to drill a little and check fit a couple of times than to drill to deep once. Put on new vatlves and plate and fire that mutha up. May the force be with you
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Post Likes
    8882A13 is the mcmaster carr part number for the 3/32 drill bit that I use for the removal of carrier valve guide pins. It is carbide flute type I have a magnetic drill press but now after about 1000 pins later i jus do then by hand. If the new pin is loose Ping the block with a punch to keep it from shaking and breaking. I have also used the method of drilling next to a pin then tapping the hole and inserting a bolt then using several valve plates stacked together with a hole drilled all the way through to get the position correct of the pin. the carbide bit I use is not a masonary bit but a carbide bit more like a machinist mill bit

Post Likes
    I never tried this but I heard it works. A small hole is drilled at an angle near the pin so the bottom of the hole is near the bottom of the pin and then a metal scriber is scooted under the pin and pried up.

Hope you can visualize this. Sort of prying the pin out.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in