New HVAC unit question

I have received two quotes from two installers for a new furnace and A/C unit. Our existing unit is 18 years old. One installer will install a new line set. The other installer will use the existing line set. What do you recommend? We also have a two zone damper system, 18 years old. It still works fine. Both installers recommend to replace the damper system. Should I replace the damper system with a new one? Our old furnace is 80,000 btu gas furnace and A/C is 2.5 ton Lennox. Do you recommend an air cleaner (Aprilaire Air cleaner #2410)?

personally:

change the line set.

a good 4" or 5" media filter will do you and your new equipment good. ( need to ensure the duct is sized accordingly)
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

If they've both calculated a heat loss/heat gain for the job, then it's your choice on companies. There's nothing wrong with using an old line set if replacing it is difficult. On the other hand, if replacement is relatively easy, then I'd always go for the new copper with the shiney inside!

If not loads have been calculated then I'd leave the old line set as they'll probably not bleed nitrogen through the lines when brazing (they're cutting corners right? No load analysis says that.) and may not even pull a 500 micron vacuum before releasing the charge. Whether the know how to properly charge the system would also be suspect and if permits are required in your state or county, probably can cross that off the list as well.

A good filter with low static loss is open to opinion. Normally the best media filters are those with 4-inch or greater thickness to increase the surface area of the filter material. Stay away from filtrettes, they're a system killer, IMO.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

We changed a lineset on a 2 year old HP today. Luckily the unit had a low pressure switch that kept it from running empty or we'd be changing a compressor too! So if possible, best to change the lineset.

I do like the 2410. Effective and low restriction even dirty.

Thanks for the quick replies. What is your opinion on replacing the 18 year old Damper system? Both installers recommended switching out the old unit due to parts being expensive on the old unit. The Damper system is working fine and the thermostats are Honeywell digital and only 8 years old.

What brand is the damper control? I assume the damper drive motors are the orginals also? The "problem" with damper units and controls are that these "additional" control systems usually do not share in the 10 yr. parts and labor warranties with the main equipment. So whether or not you replace the entire zone control and dampers you'll end up with shorter warranties on this equipment. In most cases, these zone dampers and control can be replaced anytime, but of course at additional costs to you. So it's basically up for grabs what you want to do. I'd agree that you've gotten good wear from existing zone system, so if want to replace it might not hurt. Just don't assume the longer equipment warranties cover this optional stuff, it usually does not!

Honeywell "trol a temp". Yes originals. I had them serviced 10 years ago, had an issue. But they have been working great ever since. I think it's easier to by a new house than replace the HVAC for my existing house. But adding an in ground pool 2 years ago, we ain't going anywhere.

We've never had problems getting parts for Honeywell zone systems? We try and keep drive motor for numerous brands in our stock.

I guess I'll keep existing Damper system. Thanks wahoo.

Defiantly replace line set you willbe going fromr-22 to 410- a