I am a homeowner with a radiant heat system. The local viessmann rep talked me into installing a vitodens 200 boiler in my house and I believe it was a mistake to do this.

I have had trouble with it several times. This past winter it would stop working and I would have to reset it. The installer (on recommendation from the local rep tech support) replaced 2 over temp sensors and fixed the problem. The unit was still under warranty, but labor was not covered so I am stuck with a very large labor bill because of faulty $XXX sensors. This was the second time he replaced one of those sensors.

The installer (whom I came to have a lot of respect for) told me that he thought the viessman was difficult to work with and install. He also showed me some low quality plastic parts inside the unit that I was suprised to see. He was not impressed with the viessmann boiler or control system.

Hope this helps some other home owner...do not be pushed into using something you do not want to do.

The other thing I found surprising was the gross markup the installers charge for viessmann. I believe my installer paid the supply house about $XXXX for the boiler. One quote I recieved from an installer wanted $XXXX extra for a viessmann, and that was for a job that had weil mclain boiler included. So he already charged me $X for the weil mclain and was going to ad $XXk on top of it.

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by Jultzya on 05-25-2006 at 07:36 PM]

put in a weil mcclain and you will eventually be in for costly repairs or replacement when those plastic section seals start to leak.

Not if it was an Ultra.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by fpazza
    So he already charged me $X for the weil mclain and was going to ad $XXk on top of it.

Perhaps that was a mistype when he typed up the proposal.

>>>edit... removed pricing

[Edited by beenthere on 05-25-2006 at 10:33 PM]
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    You have what is probably the best residential condesing boiler in the world.

I know not everyone agrees, but go to The Wall, that is the general consensus.

Show me any hvac equipment that does not have plastic parts.

Now, when the parts were changed, was anything else done?Location changed, piping changed? Changing 2 sensors shouldn't be that big a problem. Something don't sound right.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

I agree with Rich. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better boiler.

No matter how good an installing company is, they can and do make mistakes. Especially on a brand of equipment they are not familiar with.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Veismann and buderus rated best boilers by heating guys on heating help .com ,it sure sounds like an improper install!Have the veismann rep come out and do a walk thru,did the install come to rhode island for training?Or did you hire BUBBA?