We are constantly being asked by our suppliers (who shall remain nameless) Why it is important to have the devices we install have a UUKL smoke control rating.

We believe that we are not the only controls installers that are doing smoke control work that requires a UUKL listing for our installations.

I am trying to produce some information to justify this belief.
    I anyone could post back some comments, i would love to be able to pass them on to my superiors. Even if they remain anonymous

UUKL Smoke Control (UL-864)

If your products are approved for UL-864 Smoke Control then there is a requirement for this in your marketplace.

The standard Energy Management (UL-916)rating is primarily concerned with product safety - that is to say that the main concern is that the approved equipment will not cause anything to catch fire.

UL-864 is a different beast - there are actually performance requirements (alarming, etc) and an expectation of increased product reliability. Electrical and thermal testing for compliance is more strigent. UL-864 can be very difficult to pass if the product has not been designed with it in mind.
    The protection circuits do cost money, but this can be kept to a minimum with a good design.

There are various classes of equipment; S1 through S4(IIRC)
    depending on the equipments role in executing the (NFPA)smoke control sequence.

A UL864 listing is per system.

You cannot (from my understanding) simply install a bunch of UL864 listed devices together and call it a day.

UL-864

You are correct.
    UL-864 is for a system.
    The individual parts must be approved for use in the system.