Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermostat

Thermostat

I'm going to try and explain this. I have my ac on and set at 72. I have a hunter programmable tstat. I live in a mobile home, I know they suck for effeciancy. The tstat is located in the hall way less than 2' away from the air return. My ac is kicking on and off about every 3 or 4 minutes. There is a temp swing going on. I take my own temperature with my own tools, I do work on hvac and know a bit about it I'm EPA certified and I have been doing it for about 2 years. Now when I take my own measurements I'll get 70 and it will shut off but the temp starts to change quickly.It will stay on till about 74 and shut off. No heat sources around. I'm thinking because it's so close to the return that once the blower shuts off that the air pulling by is cooling it off to quick and once it shuts off its messing with the tstat. Could this be the problem or just the effeciancy of my home. System works great for heat. I have a 92% goodman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymike View Post
    I live in a mobile home, I know they suck for effeciancy.
    That's your problem. They are insulated for crap and the second the AC shuts down the tin can starts to climb in temp, and it kicks back on. Your own measurements prove that the temp climbs immediately when it shuts off. It's poor insulation or massive heat load (one of the same in this case), either way no stat is going to improve on the efficiency of the system.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

How long are the on cycles?

The cycles last a couple of minutes. I turned the system off for an hour just to see how high the temp would climb and at the end of the hour it was 73. I guess I'll just have to control manually.

>I'll get 70 and it will shut off but the temp starts to change quickly.It will stay on till about 74 and shut off.

Is the temp really changing that fast or not?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Can you adjust cycle rate in that Hunter stat?

If your cycles are only 2 minutes on and stat is located near return, the cycle rate is set too high.

Or you could get a good thermostat and get rid of that Hunter junk.

I couldn't find any adjustment on the tstat. Look before I started looking for answers. It does change that quick. I think I will try changing the tstat and see if it helps. I'm really not to fond of programmable ones anyway.

Are you getting a draft through the wall try sealing the whole where the stat wire goes through the wall

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Or maybe you are oversized for when it gets really hot out and right now you are short cycling

What causes short cycling. The whole where the tstat wires one through are in an inside wall. I'll try though and see what happens. I have a ton and a half unit.

Thread relocated to "Tech to Tech"

Short cycle is referring to the system being oversized therefore it cools down your house very quickly when there is not a large demand on it . the stat being located on an interior wall will not stop a draft . Use some thumb gum or playdough if you have kids.note though regular fiberglass insulation is not really stop a draft so that doesn't usually work. As for a 1.5 ton that would be like me telling you that a trip to the store will only take 5 min. From where you live. need a lot more information to give you that .

If the thermostat is located in the hall as most are, and the hallway is the return for the furnace/ac, I would get a length of thermostat wire and splice onto existing and move it to different locations away from vent in living room, I have seen a lot of these that have been relocated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast