Burner not lighting around

I have been working on a 3 burner NG steam table. Initial call was due to employee losing his eyebrows while re-lighting a standing pilot.They turned the gas supply off . I turned it on and re-lit the pilots. Turned the burners on high, one by one and they all lit on the pilot side and took from 10-40 secs before lighting all the way around,could smell the gas.Manifold at 5"W.C. Installed second regulator as per mfg. to reduce manifold to 4". Same results.Turned on low they lit all the way around almost instantly. Was told to instruct employees to start w/low fire.Sound right?

I hate those types of tables. I have one customer that still has one. Very dangerous in my opinion. Is it a quarter turn valve with the orifice at the valve? If so these orifices are usually adjustable and I adjust them so that the water will not full boil.

I'd look for an orifice to be blocked with crap at the point that ignition stops easily transferring.

it could be some grease or something hindering gas flow inwhich case you can flip it over onto another to heat it up get ride of any grease or any thing that got down in there due to cooking-

Thanks for the replies guys. These are non adjustable burners. I believe the table is about 6 mos. old. The burners are clean, pretty much protected as they sit under a baffle which sits under a pan of water in the well . I have a new dilema now. The pilot went out again and not knowing that, the cooks turned on one of the burners and left it on. They did not smell the NG . Fortunately someone else did and they shut it down. They are afraid of it and want pilot safeties installed. The Mfg does not offer them. They are available after-market. If I install them , do I assume liability?

Can you post a make/model number and maybe a link to the manufacturer's site? It seems to me a piece of equipment only six months old shouldn't need any modifications. Also, it seems to me the equipment should still be under warranty, no?
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    Can you post a make/model number and maybe a link to the manufacturer's site? It seems to me a piece of equipment only six months old shouldn't need any modifications. Also, it seems to me the equipment should still be under warranty, no?
    Yeah, I agree with you,100%. I have been in contact with the mfg.Their stance is , since it is an erratic problem, it is on the customers end causing the problem. I also agree with them. It is just a simple pilot light.

Can you or can't you post the make and model number? It's hard for me to understand what's going on unless I know what piece of equipment you're talking about.

I disagree it's just a simple pilot light. You've got employees burning off their eyebrows, you've installed a second regulator and, now, you want to do more field modifications to a 6 month old piece of equipment.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Is this unit anywhere near an exhaust hood and could it be getting a draft from make up air or other sources such as fans that are not always on?

I would not put safeties on as you would assume some type of liability if they failed to work. Let them fight it out with the dealer who sold it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovenguy View Post
    Is this unit anywhere near an exhaust hood and could it be getting a draft from make up air or other sources such as fans that are not always on?

I would not put safeties on as you would assume some type of liability if they failed to work. Let them fight it out with the dealer who sold it to them.
    I agree on both statements. Air turbulence knocked out that standing pilot and... modifications puts the liability on you. I know you want to solve a customer's problem but don't attempt to redesign. Let those overpaid engineers the manufacturers hire take that hit. Stay OEM.

Also, you said the burners aren't adjustable. Does that include lacking primary air inlet adjustments? Are the flames lifting or wafting? If there happens to be primary air adjustments, see if fiddling with those some will get you a fluid ignition.

Incidentally, I DO agree that steam tables are a bit simplistic in design. Another post here on an electric steam table illicited many suggestions about safeties (i.e., water level, hi limits). For steam tables - gas OR electric - there just aren't many. Someone has to get severely hurt to prompt design upgrades in the interest of safety.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Guys, these are non adjusting pencil type burners.The pilots and burners are blue and non lifting.The table is located on the serving line, opposite side from the hood. About 15' away.The bottom half of the table is blocked on the front and both sides. I took a full size pan lid and fanned it back and forth on the server side at undershelf level attempting to knock the pilots out. They stayed lit. These pilots are not easy to see for the lady cooks. A 3/8"peep hole at app.18-20" off of the floor.They arrive before others.There is no "want" in me to modify.I understand that there are a ton of unforseeable circumstances. I'm afraid that I will be ordered to install the aftermarket pilot safeties.Why do the mfg's not put these on to start with?