Hmm

Hey everyone, to update my progress, I am enrolled to start school on August 23, and got to meet and talk with the instructors, which was cool, but a little intimidating with all the hard work ahesd of me. I am ready and excited.

The instructors told me if I want to be a little head of the game, that I should take a college math class to prepare me for the theory. Anyone else do this? Do I need that much math? Anyway, I enrolled for a summer calss and start June 5. That will also help me getting used to taking tests again.

I also got a weekend job at the condo complex I live in. It is mostly Maintainance, but also having to maintain the boilers that these three buildings all have. I am a little overwhelmed, but asking lots of questions to the other guy who works through the week.

So thats it right now, I am wondering if I should try and talk to these HVAC companies in my town, like ALL TEMP, and see if they would take me on. If they know my intentions, am very eager to learn, responsible, hard working, dont drink or do drugs, or smoke, have reliable trans, is it really that difficult to land a job.
    Take care guys and gals

Here you go. Go to http://www.lamabooks.com/Scripts/pro...?idCategory=21

and order the following short, clear and easy to follow books;

Math For The Technician
    Careers In HVAC
    Basic Electricity
    Basic Refrigeration

Actually, the entire Indoor Environment Technician's Library series is great. But, I suggest you start with these four as they are the foundation for the others.

These four books will give you a nice head start for your first semester of HVAC at school. Start with the Careers In HVAC book and then go through the math book. All the math is directly applied to HVAC problems so you are learning exactly the math you will need to use on the job. The math book does not teach math that is unnecessary for HVAC technicians.

Norm

Originally posted by hudson73
    Hey everyone, to update my progress, I am enrolled to start school on August 23, and got to meet and talk with the instructors, which was cool, but a little intimidating with all the hard work ahesd of me. I am ready and excited.

The instructors told me if I want to be a little head of the game, that I should take a college math class to prepare me for the theory. Anyone else do this? Do I need that much math? Anyway, I enrolled for a summer calss and start June 5. That will also help me getting used to taking tests again.

I also got a weekend job at the condo complex I live in. It is mostly Maintainance, but also having to maintain the boilers that these three buildings all have. I am a little overwhelmed, but asking lots of questions to the other guy who works through the week.

So thats it right now, I am wondering if I should try and talk to these HVAC companies in my town, like ALL TEMP, and see if they would take me on. If they know my intentions, am very eager to learn, responsible, hard working, dont drink or do drugs, or smoke, have reliable trans, is it really that difficult to land a job.
    Take care guys and gals

All Temp will only hire you if you own your own truck and have all your own tools. They are like a revolving door, service techs don't last more than a year there after they find out how much they are being taken advantage of. All of their installers are sub-cotractors, I used to sub for them, so I should know. I personally wouldn't go there.

Thanks for the info on ALL TEMP. The reason I asked about them is that they have a help wanted sign hanging on the shop that says:

Installers
    Apprentices

If all they hire is sub contractors, why would they be looking for an apprentice?

It would have been an easy ride to work, only 3 blocks away.

Ohhh... the sign also said they needed a secretary, but I dont have nice enough legs!