Scottsman CME256

Good afternoon,
    I was trying to see about how long the freeze cycle should be on this type of ice machine. The unit seems to be going through all cycles but the ice cubes are not thick enough and it seems like it is going into a early harvest. It appears that the water level sensor is what sends this into the harvest as water is decreased during the freeze cycle. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Gopirates View Post
    Good afternoon,
    I was trying to see about how long the freeze cycle should be on this type of ice machine. The unit seems to be going through all cycles but the ice cubes are not thick enough and it seems like it is going into a early harvest. It appears that the water level sensor is what sends this into the harvest as water is decreased during the freeze cycle. Is this correct?
    I think this model has a software algorithm that looks at the water sensor and the pattern of the dropping ice to determine the thickness. Sometimes they get confused and you have to shut off power wait a bit then turn it back on to get the computer to start recalculating the ice size.

It is critical that the sensors which are underneath looking at the ice drop are clean. You'll need a mirror to see them. I usually use a toothbrush and some ice machine cleaner to clean them up. There is one on each side of the slot. Also clean the eye on the water sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopirates View Post
    Good afternoon,
    Freeze cycle is about 12-15 min, harvest 3-4 min. Depends on ambient temp and/or if it is a water cooled unit.

My manual says freeze varies from 15-19 minutes, and harvest is 1.5 - 2 minutes, for a CME256, not 12-15.

A common cause for an early harvest on these machines is a dirty evaporator or distributor causing the water to splash into the bin. Make sure all the water is returning to the sump and not "jumping" off the evaporator.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    A common cause for an early harvest on these machines is a dirty evaporator or distributor causing the water to splash into the bin. Make sure all the water is returning to the sump and not "jumping" off the evaporator.
    Yep if your losing water it's not going to end up on the evaporator. Check for a reservoir leak or as craig1 said splashing into bin.