Hybrid View

Future of Centralized Air Conditioning System

What are the possible systems that may be used in the future?

Would a ducted system be replaced by fan coil units with supply of fresh air and has an exhaust be in place of a VAV system? And are they capable of conttroling both the ventillation and humidity?

What are the possible operating temperature of the chilled water?

Try a search for "VRV systems" and "Peltier device". I'm not predicting they are the future (actually VRV is here in light commercial applications) but they are worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by BACNet Jr. View Post
    What are the possible systems that may be used in the future?

Would a ducted system be replaced by fan coil units with supply of fresh air and has an exhaust be in place of a VAV system? And are they capable of conttroling both the ventillation and humidity?

What are the possible operating temperature of the chilled water?
    there are so many ways to design HVAC. There are manufactures designing HVAC units to meet many different applications. Design engineers and architects need to meet many requirements to meet code. From my experience, new and innovative HVAC design will only come during new building construction. where all aspects of the building design will play a part, roofing, windows, interior and exterior material and of course looks. with all that said centralized HVAC system, like chilled water, rooftop units or design build fan rooms utilizing a BAC systems is where you get your biggest bang for your buck.

What it will boil down to is cost. its always how much.

I think you are going to see more VRV systems combined with a dedicated outside air system for ventilation, the DOAS will probably have a heat recovery wheel/device. The VRV will provide zone level comfort without the typical wastefulness of the typical VAV system, and the DOAS will provide the fresh air.

That's my on hte subject.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

I agree, VRV systems will become more common as energy prices increase.

I think the big changes are going to be to locations that do not have access to natural gas. Electric & nat. gas prices are predicted to be stable, oil prices are not. I think you are going to see more air to air heat pumps, VRV sytems included , in climate zones where they were not considered viable before. Ground Source and Solar could also become viable options.

For the rest of the industry, more improvement in the electronics is my expectatation. I don't think you will see dramatic changes in the equipment designs.

Unhappy

It breaks my heart to see new commercial sites getting away from centrifugal chillers.