Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil return questions

My kids hockey rink manager might be looking to me to work on the ice rink chiller. Haven't worked on chillers for quite some time and don't know a ton about them. I took a quick look at it today with no tools, gauges, note pads, etc...

Here is what I know and I'll see if I can get pressures, temps, compressor info later today possibly

-100 ton R22 system, secondary system with Glycol
    -One compressor that he says is running unloaded for quite a bit.
    -Having oil return problems, says its getting trapped in the chiller.
    -Says oil is getting trapped because the chiller is below the compressor outside.
    -does have a oil separator.
    -Says they are running their headpressure high to try to keep the oil coming back. Headpressure when I checked was 267psi, can't remember suction...
    -Says that this system was literally pieced together.

My quess is that the oil isn't returning while the compressor is running unloaded. Chiller isn't really "below" the compressor outside but it may be slightly lower than the compressor but not by much.

Any ideas guys??

It would at least be nice to know what kind of chiller your working on. Brand? Model #?

Yeah, I know. I'm planning on going to practice with my son tonight and I'll see if I can get any more info. Like I said, I was there with no tools, note pads, etc. Kinda of a spur of the moment thing..
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    It would at least be nice to know what kind of chiller your working on. Brand? Model #?

M14KID, please don't take offense, but; between "ice rink chiller" and "haven't worked on chillers for quite some time" and this system having a remote evaporator and the fact you have not seen this chiller operating correctly, you might be better off if you can bring in someone with experience on this type of system. Especially if he will let you look over his shoulder and ask questions. If you shop around for somebody, just say "including some training". Good luck, either way you go.

Understood. I know I probably sound like a newbie. I worked about a year of grocery store equipment about 5 years ago both DX and secondary stores. Ended up moving to CO and mostly work small W/I and maybe some larger meat processing facilities. Never had a chance to get really familiar with every aspect of the larger chillers.

Won't be able to get any info on equipment today. Just got home and won't make it to hockey today. Will try tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuclrchiller View Post
    M14KID, please don't take offense, but; between "ice rink chiller" and "haven't worked on chillers for quite some time" and this system having a remote evaporator and the fact you have not seen this chiller operating correctly, you might be better off if you can bring in someone with experience on this type of system. Especially if he will let you look over his shoulder and ask questions. If you shop around for somebody, just say "including some training". Good luck, either way you go.

check the oil cooler,some use condenser water to cool oil,some use refrigerant.

load er' up, oil will return.

Quote Originally Posted by ndk1911 View Post
    load er' up, oil will return.
    That's been my experience also...oil return problems usually start with refrigerant velocity, quantity, etc.

Thanks to the guys that gave me replies.

Compressor is a York M# RS 84A with a 100HP motor.
    Using your standard air cooled grocery store condenser.
    No receiver
    Using a Henry helical oil separator. #S-5204(Just checked and this is rated for 100 tons)

Got to talk to the guy thats been "working" on it. He doesn't know **** but he does have to override the loading program everyday for the oil to return.

Apparently this system is running unloaded far too long.

Will have to check the programming to see what the parameters are for unloading...

Question:

Are the helical oil separators any good? The separators I've seen in the past had filters in them that had to be changed every so often.

Obviously the oil is being separated via centrifugal force which collects the oil on a screen.

Would a oil separator that has a filter do any better with a unloaded system?

Thumbs up

oil return issues happens when compressor is higher than evap.,
    that is where a problem can occur., (oil trap) PUDDING TRAP

turn off for 30 min and start her up., see what happens.,
    running unloaded is ok ., most likely due to no load.,
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

The Henry helicals are pretty good separators.

Does it have a flange on the bottom of it?

If so, you may want to pump it down and pull that float plate and clean or replace it. They get junk in them and stop up.

is it any new chemical that cleaning coil from oil ?

Friend of mine had the same problem on a old ice rink unit, found the float was bad in the separator. Fixed it and had to remove 50 gallons of oil. Previous company just kept adding it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast