Filter Tight Fit

I have 3 AC Filters, two 20x30x1 upstairs, and a smaller 10x20x1 downstairs,
    the filter downstairs fits perfectly, one of the upstairs fits a little tight some bending required, and the other fits extremely tight.

I noticed a screw was installed at a extreme angle causing less clearance for the filter, I removed it but before I reinstall it I'm guessing I need to patch the hole with mastic? (Pictured)

I also noticed another screw hole above the duct that should probably be patched? (Pictured) I can't imagine air getting sucked from the attic full of fiberglass insulation past the filter can be a good thing. Although I can't see behind it, if there is some other material behind it or how deep it goes.

Is there any adjustment on these filter housings? I did noticed they installed the screws much higher on the filter housing downstairs and that filter fits perfect, I believe the screw heads are causing my issues, maybe switching to screws with flat heads will do the trick.

Thanks guys
    The House was constructed in 2005.

Photos of two filters, 3M Ultra Allergen Purple, the one thats bent more was installed with the screw, the second clean one was installed with the screw removed. (A little more space but still required some bending and damage to the cardboard).

Screw removed installed at extreme angle, above another random screw hole

Screw Installed Correct and Flush

if driving the screws flat does not solve the problem driving them deeper sometimes will if there is some gap between the back of the frame and wood. if that does not help chances are the screws were canted trying to pull the frame square in a wood frame that isn't.
    you should search this board for "filtrete" filters. thats your bigger issue here.
    i was born under a wandrin star.

Use of 1" pleated air filters (especially those made of flat "coffee filter" type paper) can have a HUGE effect upon your unit's efficiency and therefore the operating costs. These filters will "flow" a LOT less air thru them and reduce the air thru your home's comfort system and could actually damage your equipment. If the material inside these filters looks like the paper in your coffee maker, QUIT USING THEM, AND RETURN THEM FOR A REFUND. These discount store 1" pleated filters have caused caused more problems since they have come onto the market than anything I can recently recall. We've had LOTS of calls from heat pump customers this winter who had problems with their heat pumps, and when we went to their home we found plugged up filters that were sometimes only 30 days old!! These filter are restrictive when newly installed and totally restrictive when the least bit dirty.

Use a sheetrock screw which has a flat head. Those filters are a terrible restriction.

Having a company come out and make the necessary adjustments tuesday, what 1 inch filters do you guys recommend?

There's also an "actual" size to filters. Just like a 2 x 4 is actually smaller than 2 x 4.
    "I've got my Gas Mechanics license"
    "Yea, well my 16yr old daughter has her drivers license, doesn't mean she knows how to drive"

Quote Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
    Having a company come out and make the necessary adjustments tuesday, what 1 inch filters do you guys recommend?
    the pleated filters like that but have a spacing of 1/2" pleats are what we call 40% hi efficiency. they are good if you have dust/allergy concerns. even that brand if you care to pay for the tv advertising. all the project stores carry other brands that are just as good. if your system performs marginally or you just want to make it cool better in summer heat you could switch to the cheapy 5% filters during the heat, pollens gone by then.better airflow.

We love those high airflow arrestance, er...particle arresance rated filters 3M makes!

They are great for new equipment sales from the compressor and heat exchanger failures they cause...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    the pleated filters like that but have a spacing of 1/2" pleats are what we call 40% hi efficiency. they are good if you have dust/allergy concerns. even that brand if you care to pay for the tv advertising. all the project stores carry other brands that are just as good. if your system performs marginally or you just want to make it cool better in summer heat you could switch to the cheapy 5% filters during the heat, pollens gone by then.better airflow.

So would these work ok?
    Links to direct purchase sites are not permitted
    They are a step down from the purple fitters, they look like they have a 1/2 spacing between the pleats or more.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    We love those high airflow arrestance, er...particle arresance rated filters 3M makes!

They are great for new equipment sales from the compressor and heat exchanger failures they cause...
    Would be nice to have a recommendation.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-26-2012 at 06:03 AM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by index1489 View Post
    Would be nice to have a recommendation.
    the 1000 particle arrestance rating 3M filters are a decent balance between filtering efficiency and airflow resistance in most systems with multiple filter grills, and their actual dimensions are a hair smaller than the higher end ones. but the 300 and 600 rated ones are better for airflow, and still better than the old 50 cent filters.

The secret to picking a "good" pleated filter is to stay away from the ones with really high numbers in whatever filter rating scale they use, and to stay away from the ones that have filter media that is smooth like a coffee filter on the entering air side.
    The ones that are noticeably fuzzy almost always have a much lower pressure drop through them when clean, and as they load up.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

what he said.

Thanks, I had been using the red filters, just recently decided to try the purple ones, in 3 months I'll switch back.
    I live in Southern California, I can probably count with my fingers how often I use my AC/Heat, in contrast to when I lived in Texas, everyday.

yeah, see thats the reason i try to steer anyone i can from that brand. if someone told you their brand of vacuum cleaner bag was good for 90 days your b.s. meter would click right off. why do you fall for it with an air filter? when the color of the field of the filter is darker than than the snow white frame......your filter is dirty. false advertising that will damage your equiptment.