Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhall.tech.sc View Post
    netflix has a documentary about these vehicles called "Revenge of the Electric Car" . watched it about a month ago.

its surprising how much car companies have invested in battery tech , and how long its been around.
    big corperations like GM,FORD,DIAMLER-CHRYSTLER are ready to take on the challenge .
    The general population though is not so keen on all electric cars........
    Revenge of the Electric Car was a follow up to the "Who Killed The Electric Car". I think you can watch it for free, cant remember where....google it.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Im interested in the batteries for solar storage. I have an off Grid cabin and Im using golf cart batteries now (2--6v in series)

I can run all the lights in the house with no problem, but Im always looking for better batteries that don't cost me a small fortune,
    The Litium batteries I mention earlier are perfect for such an application, if done right. If you keep the discharge somewhere in the middle of battery capacity, they can be good all the way to 5000 cycles, which means it will probably be the last pack you will buy. Lead acid batteries are much more expensive in the long run.

If your interested send me a pm, I can explain it a bit more.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    The Tesla isnt available for the common man...lol, at over 100.000 bucks.

Plasmaboy is a member of our ev forum, and that thing is quick.

Roy
    the new "S" series is only 45k thats less than a lexus........
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Batteries do not have the capacity up here in the winter. Speaking of, normally we would be in the 0C range for a daytime high at this time of year. Tomorrow it is suppose to be 22C. Breaking records all week. Mildest winter I can recall.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

the new "S" series is only 45k thats less than a lexus........
    did you see any of the EVTV episodes, some poor chump left his Tesla sit for 3 or 4 months and "parasitic voltage" drained and KILLED the batteries.

Replacement cost:........wait for it............wait...........$41,000 for new batteries. If you let a Lithium ion battery sit, turn it off, disconnect it, whatever. If the batteries hit 2volts....done, dead, can't be fixed.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I guess I'm sometimes wondering why we need big subsidies for many new supposedly superiors and enrgy efficient technologies, when in hte past, new technologies were enbraced and could be sold on theri own merits. Why not let capitalism decide when technology we use.
    Because capitalism is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Not to long ago there was research on using a flywheel to store electricity

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...ergy%20storage

This page gives lots of options

To me this is the way to go, as for storing electricity
    Very interesting, a flywheel spinning in a vacuum... Certainly would work, is it cost effective?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Very interesting, a flywheel spinning in a vacuum... Certainly would work, is it cost effective?
    No.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

The technology of electric cars has been around since the early 1800's. If it was a viable form of transportation, Don't you think it would have caught on by now?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    did you see any of the EVTV episodes, some poor chump left his Tesla sit for 3 or 4 months and "parasitic voltage" drained and KILLED the batteries.

Replacement cost:........wait for it............wait...........$41,000 for new batteries. If you let a Lithium ion battery sit, turn it off, disconnect it, whatever. If the batteries hit 2volts....done, dead, can't be fixed.
    ignorance is no excuse........... and a customer problem.

here's a thought , why didnt said owner use a maintenance charger?

i have one on all my cars and they dont need batteries every time i go to drive them...
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Just curiosity on my part: About a year ago, I test drove a Chevy Volt. I am sure the EV crowd looks down their nose at the Volt... however IMO the technology makes sense.

Does anyone in the EV crowd know if there is a larger battery in the works for the Volt? IMO the short elec range before gas assist is one of the less attractive features. Seems if there are lots of 75-100 mile between charges EV cars... why does the Volt need gas back-up somewhere between 30 and 35 miles?

Just curious... and NO, I am not planning to buy a Volt. Just thought the idea and the technology are interesting.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

ignorance is no excuse........... and a customer problem.

here's a thought , why didnt said owner use a maintenance charger?

i have one on all my cars and they dont need batteries every time i go to drive them...
    doesn't need one, all he had to do was disconnect the batteries and Tesla doesn't install a disconnect switch.(which is just STUPID!) Parasitic current will run the batteries down over time. So I think the guy has a legitimate warranty claim.

Lithium Ion batteries don't like Battery Tenders® These batteries are a completely different animal from a Lead acid battery. Lithium Ion batteries DO NOT lose there charge over time if left off. If you charge them to 3.3v per cell, set them on a shelf and come back in a year they will still be at 3.3v

you need a charge controller that will TURN OFF when it reaches 3.3volts per cell. And you need a disconnect switch in a EV.

The "other problem" with Tesla cars is, once the battery is dead, you can't move the car, period. The wheels are locked up. You will have to drag it onto a flat bed.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    There is a big problem finding the correct material to make the flywheel out of

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast