Question Carrier heating element KFCEH3201F20 is 100 amp breaker enough?

Hello,

I recently had a heat pump 25HCB330 and fan coil FB4C30 installed both Carrier with a 20KW accessory element KFCEH3201F20.

My electrician prepared a 100amp breaker for the furnace with heating element. My HVAC installer was suggesting that some would put 125amp breaker for a 20 KW element. But my electrician knew I was getting 20 KW element and did not suggest more than 100 amp. Any thoughts on the 100 amps being sufficient. (note i have a separate 30amp breaker for the heat pump)

Thanks for your help!

According to the electrical data I found for that heat package, the minimum circuit ampacity for 230V is 108.4A, and the maximum fuse/breaker size is 110A.

It can also be set up as a dual circuit supply with a 60A breaker for L1 and L2, and a 50A breaker for L2 and L3 in the heat package,
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    According to the electrical data I found for that heat package, the minimum circuit ampacity for 230V is 108.4A, and the maximum fuse/breaker size is 110A.

It can also be set up as a dual circuit supply with a 60A breaker for L1 and L2, and a 50A breaker for L2 and L3 in the heat package,
    What he said^

Is that air handler goin to move enough air for 20 kw seems like alot of backup heat for a 2.5 ton heat pump

Hmm

RE: catmanacman's comment...it gets pretty cold and it should only kick in at
    -12C when the heat pump isn't delivering enough...

Thanks, #1 Maytag Man & mark beiser
    My electrician put the 100 amp thinking enough, should i rush to get him to change it to 110 amp or is the concern really if he element goes to full heat that it could trip the breaker? any other risks?

would the wire for 100 amp be the same as 110 amp breaker?

many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_C View Post
    RE: catmanacman's comment...it gets pretty cold and it should only kick in at
    -12C when the heat pump isn't delivering enough...

Thanks, #1 Maytag Man & mark beiser
    My electrician put the 100 amp thinking enough, should i rush to get him to change it to 110 amp or is the concern really if he element goes to full heat that it could trip the breaker? any other risks?

would the wire for 100 amp be the same as 110 amp breaker?

many thanks
    Here most 2.5 ton heat pumps only have a 10KW aux heat package, and we size to 0F/-17C.

A few have 15 KW of strip heat, but very few. I think you got a lot more strip heat then you need. At 1,000 CFM(typical air flow for a 2.5 ton) your temp rise will be over 63F. Meaning if your return air temp is 21C, the supply temp will be 56C.

So does your house really need 68,260 BTUs of aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?