+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the TIFZX leak detector.

Post Likes

Questions about the TIFZX leak detector.

Hello eveyone. Well as you all can see I am new here and finally decided to register. I switched jobs about a month ago and I am in need of a good leak detector. I used to work on a company that did mostly commercial HVAC mostly chillers and 10+ ton units. Now I started in a company doing supermarket refrigeration. Publix supermarket to be exact. The contract with all the stores does not cover refrigerant lost, in other words the company that I am working for wants to find/repair leaks and they are prety anal about it which is understandable. Well the problem is that the two leak detectors I had for the last couple of years are pretty beat up and lately they are giving me alot of false readings and I am in the market for a new one. A good friend of mine was talking to me about the TIF ZX leak detector but another friend told me that they were crap. I found them on amazon for a decent price. http://www.amazon.com/Instruments-TI.../dp/B003BOQLGE and I would like an opinion on it from someone that has used them or still uses one. The refrigerants that work with most of the time are 404, r22 and 134. I need a leak detector that is sensitive enough to point out leaks on a motor room with a number of parallel racks and not go crazy as soon as I walk in.

thanks guys.

Post Likes
    i like my tif -
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Post Likes
    I dont know alot about the Tif, but I know that I like my Inficon D-Tek. It has never let me down and I paid about $300 for it. I have it up against other techs Tifs and it has picked up the leaks just as fast.

Post Likes
    To operate a detector, do you turn it ON in the Decive location, or off the location (like very will ventilated space)?

Post Likes
    I like the Tif ZX. About the only good thing Tif has made.

Post Likes
    well I am really looking foward to working with this thing once i get it next week. thanx alot for the replys guys.

Post Likes
    For those using the tif zx-1 what refrigerants are you using it with?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    For those using the tif zx-1 what refrigerants are you using it with?
    22, 134A, 404A, 410A, 407C

Post Likes
    The ZX-1 will find every leak you want to find, and a number of leaks you don't want to find.

Something to keep in mind is that you should try to not shoot large quantities of refrigerant into it, or hold it over very large leaks.
    The sensor gets "poisoned" pretty easily, but that is true for pretty much anything but the detectors with infrared sensors.

Post Likes
    How longs the life of the sensor in the Tif Zx-1?

Post Likes
    I haven't noticed any poisoning with mine and I hover in contaminated spaces. I use the reset button and it make zeroing in on a big leak easy. Still picks up small leaks. I never kept track on how long the sensor lasts but it is longer than any other heated type I've had. I would say the life is about 3X what I would get with a D-Tec. Also it will tell you when its going to quit on you before it does. Found some small leaks with one showing me it was time to change too but most of the sensor failures I've had happen right at start up so best to get a back up.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    What refrigerants do you use it on iceman?

Post Likes
    CFC HCFC HFC
    12 134 22 404 408 409 401 402 410 502 has been through mine
    Can usually pick up small leaks on systems without any extra pressure than what is in system already which is convenient. Does great on pinpointing big leaks too with the reset button.

Post Likes
    forgot the hot snot reffer too but don't see much of it any more thankfully

Post Likes
    Well think im gonna pick me up one of those Tif's for my 1st detector. Been debating and researching for to long.

Post Likes
    Well it arrived today and it looks good. I will try it tomorrow morning in an old store that I will be working on. Hell after the battery charges I might test it out. Tonight I will order an extra sensor just to have it in case the one it has fails. I will update you guys how good it is after a couple of days of use.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by manny2326 View Post
    Well it arrived today and it looks good. I will try it tomorrow morning in an old store that I will be working on. Hell after the battery charges I might test it out. Tonight I will order an extra sensor just to have it in case the one it has fails. I will update you guys how good it is after a couple of days of use.
    Nice, where'd you get it?

Post Likes
    i got it at amazon.com

Post Likes
    BTW, if you got a kit that didn't come with it, don't bother getting the optional battery charging station.
    All it is is another 120v to 12v adapter like came with the leak detector, and a plastic base that a battery and the 12v adapter plug into. It doesn't charge the battery any faster than charging it the normal way...

Post Likes
    If you only get the detector it wont work while plugged into the AC <bummer>
    There is a battery life indicator though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in