Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Market Display Case Nomenclature

Having been in and around the supermarket refrigeration industry for many years, it's troubling to hear service techs refer to refrigerated display cases with improper or incorrect names. This is an excercise to help these techs learn the lingo of the trade and correct that problem:

Single-Deck Meat Case:

Pictured above is a basic single deck meat case. Please don't call it a meat cooler. Some folks refer to these as coffin cases, but there're not. We'll show a real coffin style further on down.

Multi-Deck Meat Case:

This is an example of a Multi-Deck Meat Case. Please do not refer to these open front, upright coolers. It's also considered a Self-Service case. This doesn't mean they fix themselves, it means the shopper has access to the product.

Service Meat Case:

This is a Service Meat Case where the customer must be served from the rear of the case. Similar cases are used for Deli or Fish. There are also many variations on the type of refrigeration in these service cases, each depending on the application and preferences of the store operator.

Island Frozen Food Case:

Here's the true "Coffin" style...for obvious reasons. It's allows for shopping on all four sides of the case and is often used as a promotional case with a dual temperature option.

Wide Island Frozen Food Case:

The Wide Island FF is essentially back-to-back coffin cases made as one unit and are usually installed with refrigerated end cases.

Glass Door Reach-in:

These come designed for Ice Cream or Frozen Foods and are also available for medium temperature duty like beverages, deli or dairy.

Single-Deck Produce Case:

This is a shot of the basic version of a Single-Deck Produce case. They often are supplied with a mirrored back canopy and sometimes an extended front to allow for a huge display of bulk (or unwrapped) produce. Please don't call it a vegetable cooler.

Multi-Deck Produce Case:

The multi-deck case has become much more popular in recent years, especially with the advent of more and more prepackaged produce products.

Island Produce Case:

The Island Produce is a full shop-around case. Many stores are opting for smaller, self-contained produce cases that can be moved around to suit the display.

Multi-Deck Dairy/Deli Case:

I've been working on this and need some feedback...

One of my pet peeves about many of the commercial refrigeration posts I see is the lack of proper terminology used to refer to refrigerated display cases.

I'm asking our market guys to help me out here by reviewing, commenting and hopefully suggest some additional info.

(I was working on this over in the EF's staging area for new material, but thought it would be good to place it here now so I can get it polished up a bit before moving it into the EF permanently.)

Thanks,
    icemeister

ice

Don't really know what to add seems you got them covered. One case may be past it's load limit, but those pics are for advertising. Good work by the way.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Thanks

What really prompted me to do this was seeing so many guys on here starting off their posts with a totally wrong case description which often takes the thread completely in the wrong direction.

I think we had one where the OP called it a reach-in cooler where in fact it was a multideck dairy case. I mean Jeeez.

If you have something that comes to you, please leave a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    One of my pet peeves about many of the commercial refrigeration posts I see is the lack of proper terminology used to refer to refrigerated display cases.

I'm asking our market guys to help me out here by reviewing, commenting and hopefully suggest some additional info.

(I was working on this over in the EF's staging area for new material, but thought it would be good to place it here now so I can get it polished up a bit before moving it into the EF permanently.)

Thanks,
    icemeister
    what makes you think we get it right each time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    what makes you think we get it right each time?
    Possibly this picture thread will help you do that.

That always pi$$es me off, too.

I get "our meat cooler is down" and find it's the meat case.

"Turn it up." Which, of course, means "Please make the case (or cooler) colder." The reverse is also true.

It's always an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Possibly this picture thread will help you do that.
    I am gonna paste this in my book marks. LOL.

It's funny and it isn't. I am terrible with my own nick names for things and I expect everyone to know what the heck I am talking about.

Regional Terminology Variations

Also...

There may be other acceptable regional terminology for cases that I'm not familiar with and therefore omitted from these listings.

One I can think of is in the NYC area a service deli may be called an Appy, which is short for "Appetizer", I believe.

Any others?

how about POS.

I am just busting your chops. LOL

This is great can it be a sticky?
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    This is great can it be a sticky?
    We could make it a sticky in the EF at the top of the Supermarket Cases section: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=225

That would be great.

Thanks
    If you help others then you are a Success

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast