Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 30
  1. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by BACnet View Post
    Excluding Obama- Please name one person in the past 10 years who has hurt the US more that this man?

    It's not just that he's a homicidal maniac; we put them to death all the time. What makes this case so egregious is that he's a homicidal maniac who has just doomed the US to years or even decades of terrorist attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years all of the history books mention Robert Bales as the reason we lost the war in Afghanistan.

    That's why I consider his rampage to be a clear case of treason and that's why I believe he should be hung or face a firing squad (or whatever it is they do to treasonous people these days).

    It's all fine and good to suggest that lessons can be learned from this. I doubt anyone would disagree about that. But he went berserk and started slaughtering women and children- let's not forget that this isn't someone who dropped a bomb on the wrong car by accident.

    To put it another way, how would you feel if you lost a loved one in Afghanistan and now, years later that loved one's death becomes meaningless because in the end we lost the war because of this traitorous animal?

    Truth be told, I'd prefer we turned him over to the Afghans but I realize we can't set that president.
    First off I doubt this particular case is any more egregious to Afghans or Muslims in General than drone bombing, the Burnings of the Korans or some of the other attacks in Iraq.

    The war in Afghanistan was lost long before this incident in fact there was never a chance to win this war. We should have done what we needed to do their and left just like we should have in Iraq.

    Making an object lesson of Bales will neither help or hinder our efforts in Afghanistan or the Muslim world. He should be tried as any other person that committed such a crime. If he was mentally unstable for whatever reason then he was not responsible for his actions if he was in full control of his faculties then he should be put to death.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NW AR
    Posts
    2,478
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    SHOULD HE; we do not know what he has been through or the extent of damage he has incurred. I read in one of his tours in Iraq he sustained an injury to his brain, this could certainly have precipitated these attacks.

    We need to wait and see what comes out in the trial, a sane man just does not go out and throw away his life and slaughter 16 people.
    So they sent him back for another tour knowing he had brain damage??

    There are people that are perfectly sane but just enjoy killing.

    Wether he is mentally disturbed or just a murderer I dont really care. Anyone with the capacity to blow away women and children needs to be dead. Or i guess it would be better to spend my tax dollars supporting his mental rehab or incarceration...

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    steeler nation
    Posts
    2,072
    His actions are going to cost more than 16 lives. This is amunition for our enemies. It will be a rally point for their recruitment efforts.
    However,Bales deserves a fair trial. He will have his day in court.
    The military needs to review its deployment policies. War is mentally crippling to most people. Multiple deployments to these hell holes could cause anyone of us to crack.
    IV IV IX

    use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    He seemed to have low moral fiber in the first place. People that have little regard for others would have less to stop them from taking out their frustrations on others.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Yes, people of sound mind should be held accountable for their actions.

    Maybe he sacrificed his mind over there for us....infact, his lunacy may very well be a reflection of our freedom.
    Maybe yes maybe no. But I'll give you an analogy. Say you have some inner city dude. He goes out rapes a couple of women and then for kicks he kills them. Then on his way home he does a home invasion and kills the mom, Dad, and two little kids. Then for the hell of it he burns all their bodies. Fast forward. He gets his day in court. His defense lawyer says my poor client, he is the real victim. His father beat him when he was just a baby. His mother was a crackhead. He has been in and out of foster homes his whole life. Even abused by some of the foster parents. The court appointed Psychiatrist agrees." He never had a chance in life. We can rehabilitate him. Poor, Poor victim of circumstance". Why I could sympathize with his brutal upbringing contributing to his actions, I still would not want any LIBERAL JUDGE or jury allowing him to live any more than I want this "soldier" to be allowed to. None of these type of people serves society any good and should not be missed. I'm a big believer in being responsible for yourself and being tough on crime, especially violent crime. I am conservative on this.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,469
    Why don't all you armchair juries hold your opinions until some facts are in? You all sound just like Obama with his..."the police acted stupidly" comment. You have no idea what went on, but you can't wait to burn America for something. Where are YOU gonna go once you flush your country down the tubes finally?
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Maybe yes maybe no. But I'll give you an analogy. Say you have some inner city dude. He goes out rapes a couple of women and then for kicks he kills them. Then on his way home he does a home invasion and kills the mom, Dad, and two little kids. Then for the hell of it he burns all their bodies. Fast forward. He gets his day in court. His defense lawyer says my poor client, he is the real victim. His father beat him when he was just a baby. His mother was a crackhead. He has been in and out of foster homes his whole life. Even abused by some of the foster parents. The court appointed Psychiatrist agrees." He never had a chance in life. We can rehabilitate him. Poor, Poor victim of circumstance". Why I could sympathize with his brutal upbringing contributing to his actions, I still would not want any LIBERAL JUDGE or jury allowing him to live any more than I want this "soldier" to be allowed to. None of these type of people serves society any good and should not be missed. I'm a big believer in being responsible for yourself and being tough on crime, especially violent crime. I am conservative on this.
    I understand and agree but for one thing this man has served his country and done all it has asked of him. For that reason alone he deserves the benefit of doubt.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I understand and agree but for one thing this man has served his country and done all it has asked of him. For that reason alone he deserves the benefit of doubt.

    Agreed! Day in court and if he did this for whatever reason, death penalty.

  9. #22
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    So they sent him back for another tour knowing he had brain damage??

    There are people that are perfectly sane but just enjoy killing.

    Wether he is mentally disturbed or just a murderer I dont really care. Anyone with the capacity to blow away women and children needs to be dead. Or i guess it would be better to spend my tax dollars supporting his mental rehab or incarceration...
    Yes after having brain damage and losing part of his foot in combat he was sent back to combat.

    I agree with the death penalty and do not thing we apply it liberally enough but a soldier that has done his duty many times over deserves every consideration possible. That may mean life in prison or a mental institution or death but I am not ready to make a judgment yet.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    6,323
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    Agreed! Day in court and if he did this for whatever reason, death penalty.
    So if it is proven he has brain damage caused by an IED in Iraq you want him killed. If so man that is just wrong.

    This is not a person that has been out doing drugs, and gang banging his whole life he choose to serve his country.

    Now there are some things coming out about him and his past, how much of it is true and how much of it is relevant remains to be seen.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    None of his past is relevant to me.

    He murdered innocent women & children or he didn't.

    He aided the enemy or he didn't.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    So if it is proven he has brain damage caused by an IED in Iraq you want him killed. If so man that is just wrong.

    This is not a person that has been out doing drugs, and gang banging his whole life he choose to serve his country.

    Now there are some things coming out about him and his past, how much of it is true and how much of it is relevant remains to be seen.
    And if he was out doing drugs (oh my misspent youth) taking advantage of people, endangering others, and then running off to the army to escape them?

    Records show he owes $1.5 million from an arbitration ruling nearly a decade ago that found him guilty of securities fraud.

    The ruling stemmed from a complaint by a Columbus, Ohio, man that Bales defrauded him and his wife while working as their stockbroker in 2003.

    Bales' wife, Karilyn, offered her condolences to the victims' families and said Monday she wants to know what happened. She said her family and her in-laws are profoundly sad, and that what they've read and seen in news reports is "completely out of character of the man I know and admire."

    About a year and a half after the complaint was filed, Bales enlisted _ just two months after 9/11.

    His legal troubles included charges that he assaulted a girlfriend and, in a hit-and-run accident, ran bleeding in military clothes into the woods, according to court records. He told police he fell asleep at the wheel and paid a fine to get the charges dismissed.

    In March 1998, Bales was given a $65 citation for possessing alcohol at Daytona Beach, Fla. He did not pay the fine nor did he defend himself in court. A warrant was issued for his arrest, but it later expired.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showpost.ph...1&postcount=84

    Staff Sgt Robert Bales, the US soldier accused of shooting dead 16 Afghan civilians, owes $1.5 million after he defrauded an elderly couple in a "malicious" scam shortly before he joined the Army.


    Bales was working as a stockbroker in Ohio in 2000 when client Gary Liebschner asked him to sell his stocks to pay for medical bills, but Mr Liebschner and his wife never received the money.

    Bales was not criminally charged but the case against him and several colleagues went to arbitration in May 2000. Bales never turned up at a hearing and, 18 months later, enlisted in the military.

    Mr Liebschner told WCPO-TV in Ohio: "He robbed me of my life savings. We didn't know where he was. We heard the Bahamas, and all kinds of places."

    Mr Liebschner described Bales as a "smooth talker" and a "con man."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ly-couple.html

    Somehow I have have the feeling his previous indiscretions will be overlooked. Not like the army looks for squeaky clean pasts.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Why don't all you armchair juries hold your opinions until some facts are in?
    Because that is what we do here. This is entertainment.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event