Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just went on an interview and was asked a bunch of odd questions.

I read on internet that there are illegal interview questions. The article said that the questions arenŐt really illegal but there are discriminatory questions that if asked could allow u to start a discrimination lawsuit.

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/in...l/aa022403.htm

I figure itŐs very hard to prove. Its a unrecorded conversation that is your word vs. thereŐs. I assume if there are a number of complaints they might get sued.

I think these questions are really asking

I am talking about questions like are u married?
    (are u gay or u worth respecting for long time employment)

What is the nataionality of your parents are they citizens?
    Do they speak English.

who do u live with?

What is your age?

How many kids do u have?

The article recommends to tactfully sidestep the question.

In a recent interview I was asked weird questions like.

Do u have an attitude. Do u get along with customers and co-workers
    (Who would admit to this?)

Do u drink or take drugs?
    Who would admit to this?

Do u own a car? Is it because u canŐt afford it?

Are u a sports fan?
    (are u gay)

Is there anything I should know about u?
    I assume he ment do u have upcoming court date or have violent past.
    Who would admit to this?

I always take offense to these questions and answer them because I donŐt want to blow the interview. Some times itŐs not possible to avoid the question. I told the guy I didnŐt have a car because I didn't need one. He asked me if it was really because I couldnŐt afford one?

I figure he was trying to figure if I had driving history and if I come from middle class or very poor family.

Another thinking is asking reference number from last job.
    Why should I put my reputation in hands of person who fired me layer me off didnŐt respect me or racistly replaced me with guys from his country who didnŐt even go to trade school.

If my last job was such a good place I would still be there.

I think being single, poor 1st generation citizen, and not a sports fan makes for discriminatory relationship.

If not for judgement why woud I be asked all these questions?

[Edited by jtpnyc on 05-21-2006 at 10:17 AM]

they forgot to ask for your credit report and score

Why do some people think they have to sue someone everytime they get offended?
    Zach

cops

Do you get offended when a cop asks you "do you know how fast you were going sir".
    Josh

Too many employees want the same thing the French are dealing with. Jobs for life that you cant get rid of someone wether they are doing the job or not. Dont ask me any questions that will tell you what kind of scum bag employee Im gonna be. Oh and by the way dont bother calling my former employer ........ he cant tell you how big of a bum I was being I will sue his butt.

I dont know why anyone would want to work nowdays..... why not just find someone to sue or get on disability. Im waiting for the time you just claim mental anxiety over having to do something or even coming in for work.

I hate saying that I know a ton of people out there sponging off the system but thats the problem, the system premotes it.......... half the towns in the country are really welfare towns that half of the businesses survive off taking care of the free loaders.

As the Democrates say......... you cant survive without us thinking for you or making decisions of what is best for you. Oh and if you vote for us, we will take the money from the people that pay for it and give it to the people that dont want to work. Im sure that was nagans slogan to get re-elected mayor.

Better stop now Im getting off subject..... ya JTPNYC go after them, if not for discimination maybe you can get them for mental anquish of just having to answer any question.

I am not looking to sue anyone I was just trying to explain the illegal description of the questions.

I would prefer to not be assumed to be gay for not being a sports fan or single or under paid becasue I dont have 2 kids and a wife.

These questions lead to false answers to these indirect questions.

I am not looking to sue someone just want to not have to admit to being dirty poor and every negative thing about myself.

Its about dignity not about raping a system with lawyers.

A few of the questions, are ones, in my experience, that shouldn't be asked at an interview. Age and your parents nationality, for example, are two of those than can invite discrimination and typically are not asked by a company that understands the laws on hiring. I would steer clear of any company that asks those kinds of questions. Now as part of a personality profile test a question, asking if you are a sports fan, is valid. Also new laws require you to prove you are a citizen. Hope that helps.

interview

Yeah them questions would bug me to I guess. But dec I don't want anyone to call my current employer, he would screw me the first chance he gets. The supervisor also doesn't like me because of something that happened between him and my dad about 15 years ago. Everyday I work my butt off just to keep my job. I screw up I get written up. And the bad thing is my boss is my uncle. I will never work for family again.
    Josh

This list of question I got from a job search skills class I took when I went through the HIRE CEnter of Milwaukee. The HIRE Center helps displaced workes find new employment after being downsized. I have a ton a job search help material if anyone is interested.

Reference Checks: Questions Employers are allowed to Ask

Your reference will be asked the same questions commonly asked by most employers and recruiters when checking references. These questions are on the following topics.

· Your official job title, responsibilities and specific duties.
    · Your major weaknesses and strengths.
    · Your overall job performance and quality of work.
    · How you compare to other employees in similar positions.
    · Your ability to get along with management, co-workers, clients & customers.
    · Your major accomplishments.
    · What kind of job they think you are best suited to do.
    · Your dates of employment and eligibility for rehire.
    · Whether or not they recommend you for the type of job you’re currently seeking.
    · If you held any other positions in the company and if you were promoted.
    · Why you left the company.
    · Your ability to be a team player and a self-starter.
    · Your communication skills.
    · Your moral character. (Integrity and honesty).
    · If personal problems ever affected your work.
    · To rate your overall job performance on a scale from 1-10.
    · Your leadership, supervisory and management abilities (management only).
    · Administration and budgetary skills (if applicable).
    · Technical skills (if applicable).
    · Ability to handle stress.
    · Hiring abilities (if applicable).
    · Questions based on information in your resume (that an employer is likely to ask about).
    · Specific questions you have requested that we ask.
    · Ask them if they would like to sat anything about you.
    I Graduated! Now what?

I've been asked an "Illegal question" before and I just told them it was an illegal question and then answered it. It lets the employer know you are not an idiot but by answering it showed I had nothing to hide - if they would have continued to ask more I would've informed them that it was another illegal question and may have refused to answer it. I felt by informing the employer of my knowledge of an illegal question it stopped any others. BTW - I got the job.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

its a ****e stat of affairs when they ask your religion marital status kids age etc

They deserve suing for going against govt regs reg interview questions.

Personally I would have told them what they wanted to hear.

yes I'm married - yes we have a car my wife uses it all the time so I cant use it for work.

I next time when being intervied AND I know I don't really want the job would answer the question and follow it with a question of my own
    Eg are you regilious? why yes I'm a cathloc how about you are you reglious?

do you have a car? why yes we have a 2000 camry how about you what do you drive?
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Smile

I thought about saying what ever sounded best no matter if it was true but if I said I was married and had a kid they guy would see it in my w2 form that I was lieing.

I have an interview monday.

I will stop mid interview if its going way to personal and not reviewing my skills exp. education.

Originally posted by jtpnyc

In a recent interview I was asked weird questions like.

Do u have an attitude. Do u get along with customers and co-workers
    (Who would admit to this?)

-Would you feel better if it rephased, How do you feel your working relationship with others and customers is ?

-The point of the question is to determine if you able to work with others as well as present a positive image to customers

Do u drink or take drugs?
    Who would admit to this?

-Hmmmm while no one may admit to doing drugs, if your old enough to drink and have an occasional drink its not that big of a deal, so it should not be that big of a deal if they ask unless you have something to hide about it

Do u own a car? Is it because u canŐt afford it?

-If they ask this it may because they want to know if you can make it to work, as far as the second part if your using public transportation to save on the cost of insurance and gas, plus not needing the extra cost of upkeep of a vehicle, its not a crime not to own a vehicle

Are u a sports fan?
    (are u gay)
    -This one here I really got a chuckle out of, Please tell me how not being a sports fan equates to being gay, Just because someone ask this does not mean that is what they are asking, they may just want to know if your intrested in any sports that you may have in common.

Is there anything I should know about u?
    I assume he ment do u have upcoming court date or have violent past.
    Who would admit to this?

-LOl another big chuckle, Your reading to much into the question or have a record that your tring to hide. this question is for you to tell them what a super star you are and how you could be a great assest to their company, what you can bring to the table so to speak.

I always take offense to these questions and answer them because I donŐt want to blow the interview. Some times itŐs not possible to avoid the question. I told the guy I didnŐt have a car because I didn't need one. He asked me if it was really because I couldnŐt afford one?

I figure he was trying to figure if I had driving history and if I come from middle class or very poor family.

Another thinking is asking reference number from last job.
    Why should I put my reputation in hands of person who fired me layer me off didnŐt respect me or racistly replaced me with guys from his country who didnŐt even go to trade school.

-It is standard practice to question reference's whether professional or personal.

If my last job was such a good place I would still be there.

-That may be true but people move on from good jobs for other reasons like gaining experiance, little better pay, better commute, better benifits.

I think being single, poor 1st generation citizen, and not a sports fan makes for discriminatory relationship.

If not for judgement why woud I be asked all these questions?

-Your asked these questions because they are intrested in you, if they were not you would not have even got the interview, while some of the questions may have not have been right out of the interview book there is nothing saying that everything asked is or has to be.

-You'll find that you'll leave a lot of interviews poorly if don't display a postive upbeat attitude and leave the interviewer with a positive impression of you and the rewarding things you can do for his/her company,if you become evasive or negative might as well shoot yourself in the foot cause they are not going to call you back'

Good Luck in your next Interview !

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast