Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extra Charge for Horizontal Furnace Installation?

Hello everyone. I hope this post does not violate forum rules--it isn't a pricing request, but it does have to do with fees associated with HVAC installation.

I recently received a quote for installation of a new Trane system (XB300 compressor and XR80 furnace)--my current compressor is an old R22 unit that is on its last legs and I want to get it replaced before the summer heat hits us. The salesman came to my house on Saturday, checked out my current equipment, did a load test, and told me his company is currently running a "special" that knocks almost $ off the regular price of the system I mentioned. However, when I called him today to see about scheduling the installation, he told me that there would be an additional $ installation charge due to having to install the furnace horizontally rather than vertically. This sent up red flags in my mind, causing me to suspect the old "bait and switch" tactic. When I asked him why the $ installation fee wasn't included in the original price estimate, there was silence on the other end of the line for several seconds, and then a reply: "It was an oversight on my part." I feel like something fishy is going on and have made an appointment with another HVAC company to do an estimate tomorrow morning. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-20-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: prices

I charge significantly more for horizontal attic or crawl space installations than the number you mentioned.
    They take significantly more time and materials.

The salesman may have been working off line item book prices, and didn't notice his oversight on adding in for the horizontal installation until he got back to the office.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks Mark, that sets my mind at ease a bit! I realize we all overlook things every once in a while, so I am glad to know that my salesperson likely deserves the benefit of the doubt in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by knculver View Post
    Hello everyone. I hope this post does not violate forum rules--it isn't a pricing request, but it does have to do with fees associated with HVAC installation.

I recently received a quote for installation of a new Trane system (XB300 compressor and XR80 furnace)--my current compressor is an old R22 unit that is on its last legs and I want to get it replaced before the summer heat hits us. The salesman came to my house on Saturday, checked out my current equipment, did a load test, and told me his company is currently running a "special" that knocks almost $ off the regular price of the system I mentioned. However, when I called him today to see about scheduling the installation, he told me that there would be an additional $ installation charge due to having to install the furnace horizontally rather than vertically. This sent up red flags in my mind, causing me to suspect the old "bait and switch" tactic. When I asked him why the $ installation fee wasn't included in the original price estimate, there was silence on the other end of the line for several seconds, and then a reply: "It was an oversight on my part." I feel like something fishy is going on and have made an appointment with another HVAC company to do an estimate tomorrow morning. What are your thoughts?
    "bait and switch" isn't what happened. Communication as it should be is more like it.
    At least he let you know before they started..... He has a boss too, you know... Maybe he was told the special didn't apply to horiz, AFTER he got back from the bid...

and another good sign is... He didn't try to point fingers or blame others, he just said, "it was an oversight on MY part"

I don't think it's fishy. but that's just my opinion
    Evan
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-20-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: price in quote

Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    He has a boss too, you know
    Yeah, my first thought was that he got back to the office and someone "pointed out" his oversight oversight to him.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Seems like they should still honor the original proposal price. If I make an oversight I eat it, it's my job to not miss these things but occasionally we all do.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

SandShark

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by #1CDNTECH View Post
    If the price is a real good deal that probaly means padro and his 5 cousins are doing the install. Only let license pro touch your HVAC Equipment. You get what you pay for I find. Goodluck on your install
    Sounds like an honest mistake. I question any salesman no matter what they sell anyways. This quote above me is totally out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Seems like they should still honor the original proposal price. If I make an oversight I eat it, it's my job to not miss these things but occasionally we all do.
    This is how i feel about it, and if I'm not mistaken there is a good chance that system will lay down without having to order different equipment...just need to add in the added costs like a drain pan. I can't see how this would be a killer to honor the original price.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Other than being a PITA the only additional costs would be some plywood, drain pan, and a bit more copper. Thats assuming the unit will fit into your current access hole..

Is your current unit in the attic?

The first thing is that the company is not cutting corners by eliminating the all important Manual 'J' load calc. That's huge, IMO. It is virtually impossible to have a flat rate installation price for each properly sized piece of equipment due to the variables of each installation. And sometimes extras get forgotten. So if you don't sign on the dotted line when the opportunity is on the table in front of you, then IMO the salesman has every right to review his numbers to be sure he didn't miss anything. And once the document is signed, if the payee changes something, that also opens the door for any other costs to be added to the job.

Point of fact, this is how most commercial companies make their dollars. It's not on the original quote, it's on the change orders where they can charge full boat. So if you hesitate to sign when the salesman is at your home, I see nothing untoward happening that would raise any flags with me.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

I would eat the difference between the jobs. A few more details about the job would be helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast