Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have posted previously in this forum regarding the problems we have had with our (relatively) new system.

3 zoned system, 2800 SF home (9ft ceilings first flr, 8 ft second) 2 zones down, 1 up
    Rheem Model RPPA-049JAZ; 14 SEER; 8.70 HSPF
    Zonex controller
    Heat strip: 208V/240VAC
    13.2/17.5
    Rheem model RBHK 24J18SUE

Unit was installed in our new home about a year ago.

After countless calls to the installer ever since its installation (Hurliman Heating in Spokane) and trips to our home, we have given up - these guys don't know what they are doing.

My last call (last week) was when we switched the system from heat to cooling, the system would run for a minute and shut off (not the blower just the compressor) - so the guy comes out, fiddles with a few things, and it runs okay for a few days, but then today we started hearing a strange sound coming from the supply register, and the thing was blowing HEAT!

So, are we just screwed? Call another outfit and start shelling out more money until we get "lucky" and find some HVAC outfit that knows what they are doing? Are they not held accountable for what they install?

At this point I am not looking for any technical help. Just some advice on any recourse we can take? Would a judge listen to us? Can an HVAC installer just $XXXX hard earned cash, smile all the way to the bank, with the consumer left with a hunk of junk system???

P.O.'d in Spokane

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by Jultzya on 05-20-2006 at 09:40 PM]

If the contractor truly will not respond to you it may be time to seek legal remedies.

I do not recommend this lightly as I am of the opinion that all things can be resolved where rational, determined individuals are involved.

Most contractors want nothing more than to satisfy their customers.

If you have truly exhausted every attempt to reconcile, then maybe a registered letter may be in order as a final offer to allow the contractor to correct his mistakes before pursuing legal remedies.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

The next step is contacting Rheem. They will refer you to the local supplier. Many have a tech rep on staff who can help you out. Rheem also has regional technical people who will back up the local. We had a troublesome unit that the regional guy couldn't figure out so Rheem flew a guy in from 1/2 way across the country to look at it. Ended up replacing it and they gave us credit on the troublemaker. So don't give up hope yet!

Thanks Bald Loony and Hvacpro - I am normally a very patient person. And its not that they have not been responsive, (they do come out fairly quick) its just that we have to keep calling them! How many time should a howmowner have to call about a brand new system before it works? 10? 20? I can't imagine the installer is having much joy either having to make the trip out to our house all of the time (we are a good ways out of the city). I will try and exercise patience. Thanks.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    The next step is contacting Rheem. They will refer you to the local supplier. Many have a tech rep on staff who can help you out. Rheem also has regional technical people who will back up the local. We had a troublesome unit that the regional guy couldn't figure out so Rheem flew a guy in from 1/2 way across the country to look at it. Ended up replacing it and they gave us credit on the troublemaker. So don't give up hope yet!

Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    If the contractor truly will not respond to you it may be time to seek legal remedies.
    Unless you have some kind of contract with the installer in regards to labor you are basically SOL if you read most MFG warranties even mention that Labor has nothing to do with us, that is strictly between you and the installer not in those exact words, but technically we could install it and never come back and technically there is nothing you could do unless your in a state that makes a company warranty the labor for a certain amount of time. No I sure don't condone this nor do we do this but we sure have been on a bunch of calls were this has happened in the past, but I feel sure unless your State backs you or you have a written labor contract you can forget it.

[Edited by mrbillpro on 05-20-2006 at 08:31 PM]
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Taking Loonies advice maybe you could ask your contractor if he could bring a factory rep next time and possibly the two of them can resolve the matter.

i had to go to court a few years ago for someone else
    while sitting there i listen to a case simalar to this one
    the contractor ignored the coustomers calls and didnt repare the unit in a timely manor so the guy had the system repaired by some one else. the judge heard both sides and deturmined the contractor was at fault.
    he said there was grounds for fraud and awarded the coustomer three time the cost of the repare work
    the cost was 1000 he got 3000 from the case

not sure how this happened but it opened my eyes about the importance of being responsable for your actions as a contractor

As someone told me the other day. In small claims court, judges tend to use common sense more than the letter of the law to determine the outcome of their cases.

and have a paper trail of invoices for attempts to correct problem

Just from what I have seen over the years, there really seems to be no guarentee how the system works. If there are things not done to code or that are a safety hazard the judges will rule for the homeowner. The thing I see the most of is that a homeowner will get a lawyer envolved being the lawyer says ...ya I can get you all this money. The lawyer sucks every dime he can out of his cliant, writing letters and having meetings. Once the homeowner gets tired of the lawyer not doing anything but taking their money and quits dishing out the cash , everything stops.

It gets a little hard to sue someone and prove they intentionally did a crappy job. A lot of times its cause from a builder not willing to pay to do it right. The hvac company should have walked away in that case, but they usally dont. Its just like a city inspection...it has very little to do about wether it will heat right, its pretty much to do with safety and that the place wont burn down. Now you see it going the way of not wasting energy but I havnt seen much about if its going to heat right in every part of the house.

I would say your best bet would be talking to whoever their distributor is , if you can find that out. They probably wont fly someone in but when they do show up in town, Im sure they could set up a time to look at what your problems really are. Im not positive but Im thinking the distibutor for rheem in Spokane is Blacks industrial, you might talk to them...... if not Im sure they might steer you the right way.

[Edited by dec on 05-21-2006 at 09:18 PM]

Okay, thanks all for the good advice - I will try and work it out with the installer and Rheem (if I can track them down). I believe the installer is a reputable company, its just this particular system seems to have them stumped, and I am getting tired of calling them repeatedly. I have a bad feeling that this last "incident" has dmaged something in the system that will now cost a lot more than just a trip to adjust something. (As it refuses to blow cold air and makes a strange sound when running, but we have left it off). Thanks all, this is a great group here.

The only other thing I will say is that I have always maintained that zoning pretty much sucks. Those who completely understand it are few and far between. The ones who like to dabble in it usually end up making a mess of things. Maybe your guy is an expert and this one is just jerking him around. I don't know. However, I do know that zoning is a beast of another nature, and not for the average guy.

Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    The only other thing I will say is that I have always maintained that zoning pretty much sucks. Those who completely understand it are few and far between. The ones who like to dabble in it usually end up making a mess of things.
    I love zoning, but you have a point. Most of the zoned systems I have seen done by others have some very serious issues.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast