Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by jj2000
    They are in fact sending another contractor this weekend to do a load calculation to see if I have an oversized compressor for my furnace.
    I remember that you said the first guy never showed, but did they ever send someone back out do this?

Post Likes
    @leapfrog

Guilty about "being patient."

As for the potential replacement, we will certainly look into a local contractor. Cost will still be a consideration, but the lessons we learned as well as new information gained from this forum will definitely guide us in choosing the contractor and the make/model system. We will certainly have a new set of questions to ask...

They sent a 2nd contractor to deal with this. This 2nd contractor didn't show up on the first appointment. Got out of the 2nd appointment and came rather late for the 3rd appointment. Second contractor found another possible "obstruction" and was certain this would fix the system. Famous last words.

[Edited by jj2000 on 06-04-2006 at 02:32 PM]

Post Likes
    We're here to help.

I have my own set of recommendations for finding competent contractors. I'd start by calling your local HVAC supply houses (for example, Johnstone) and your area's manufacturer's distributors for 'better brand' companies such as A/S - Trane, Carrier, and Lennox. You can get the phone numbers for the distributors off the manufacturer's web sites. Tell them you are a consumer and you're looking for a competent contractor to do the installation of a replacement system, and that you know that the choice of an installer is critically important. Ask them who they would have use if they were doing an installation at their own home.

Then use your state and county licensing boards to check the complaint and discipline records for the resulting list of contractors. Many states now have this information online. Then check their BBB record.

Go out for bids and see which ones measure your home and do a heat gain calculation without being asked. Hopefully at least two of them will do this. Once you get your bids back and have a preliminary preference (based on your satisfaction with the estimation process, pricing, etc.) and you are down to a short list of two or three who look good, call your local municipality's building department and ask for a mechanical inspector. Ask them which of the contractors they would have do their own work - some inspectors are reluctant to make recommendations but will usually be willing to steer you away from contractors who are problematic.

I'm sure others on the board will have additional thoughts on this subject.

P.S. While you are at it you might research the contractor that Sears is using with your licensing boards and with the BBB and see if they would have passed this screening. Is he really from out of state? Does he even have an LA HVAC contractors license?

[Edited by leapfrog on 06-04-2006 at 02:41 PM]

Post Likes
    It's window unit time.

Post Likes

Has the fat lady sang?

@dangling wrangler-yup, we got two of those, window shakers, y'all call 'em.

Now this, I profer to this esteemed group, me thinks the fat lady has finally sang: (is that an oil slick or my compressor has been assimilated by the borg?). A lawyer emailed me and suggested I have a pretty good case for redhibition (that sounds absolutely lawyerly).

[Edited by jj2000 on 06-09-2006 at 12:18 AM]

Post Likes
    For once living in Louisiana has its benefits:

http://www.ag.state.la.us/publications/redhibiton.htm

I can't imagine Sears will fight you on the "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Money Back".

Have you started the new contractor search yet?

Post Likes
    JJ2000, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but also thankful that you posted them on the net. You have just saved another soul from going through what you have. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    @daddo - no problem. I'm pretty sure that other homeowners out there will factor all of my experiences in when a new/replacement HVAC system is being looked into.

@leapfrog - As for contractors, I am still looking at what's available in the area. The redhibition lawyers I called today are out on vacation so I can't get the legal route started today.

Update 3. I called SEARS about getting my money back, and all of a sudden the person from SEARS legal snarled at me, saying "You got a lemon compressor, Mr. jj2000, we will replace it." Yup, they are making it really hard for me to get my money back. The really sad part is that I was the one who pointed it out those oil stains to the third contractor. Of course they can't replace the compressor tomorrow. So it will be sometime "next week." And so it comes to pass, this is the part where the lawyer comes in. All I'm asking for is to get my money back and for them to get the equipment out of my property. I'm not even going to get started about pain and mental anguish part. Heck, if y'all don't hear from me in the next week, that means I've been served divorce papers for being an incompetent man of the house.

[Edited by jj2000 on 06-09-2006 at 03:28 PM]

Post Likes

Blower

What happened to the blower motor??
    Did you get it replaced??
    This may have been the whole intermittent freezing thing. It goes with intermittent motor seizing. Which will cause the compressor broke.
    Pay the compressor replacement guy the extra $ and have him install a High pressure and low pressure safety switch, this is cheap compressor insurance against a future Blower or condenser fan motor failure.

Post Likes
    @acoolguy- The blower motor quit after the 2nd contractor came in and diagnosed the problem to be a damper impeding air flow. The following day, the line froze again, this time accompanied by a grinding sound see video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiAHylUNnDw

Contractor 2 comes back, diagnoses the freezing problem as due to a failing blower motor. Puts in the blower, leaves, but had to return because I called him and reported that the blower was blowing hot air while the compressor was cutting off and on every 1 to 2 minutes. It was painful to hear. And then it quit running. Completely. Now SEARS thinks I have a lemon of a compressor unit.

Post Likes
    I'd tell the Sears legal guy that you have given them more than three attempts to fix the defective system and that you want to exercise your rights under the "Satisfaction Guaranteed" policy. If he refuses inform him that you will file suit under the Louisiana redhibition law. Then follow through (at the same time send a copy of your demand and intent to sue to the CEO as a follow up to your previous correspondence - that may shortcut the process).

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by thoglow
    Man I wish I live closer to that mess.If I was in FL I would go there for free and have a answer

did he say Florida or Louisiana?
    my reading comprehension aint too good

"and they are going to trash more of your place before they get done....",leapfrog.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jj2000
    ....she said she had the New Orleans folks hunting for another contractor to come over and troubleshoot our system....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast