Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    That unit is a straight cool, with 17 1/2 lbs of freon shipped from the factory. I'd bet you're overcharged with a restriction at the txv. Without a competent tech giving measurements/readings, there's no telling what the problem actually is. I don't mean to throw anyone under the bus, but your tech better have more than a t-stat with him, because that's not the problem if that unit is cycling.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Post Likes
    i ran into a kenmore the other day. circa 1980. still humming along nicely.

a long time ago (30 years?). sears had a good reputation, today it is another wal/k mart or home depot/lowes type company. (k-mart owns sears)

note to homeowners: hvac jobs are subbed out if you go with the sears/home depot crew. not sure of their cut, but the contractor will put the cheapest employee on the job so he can make a little money.

bottom line, you get what you pay for.

you should have a load calculation done to ensure proper sizing. you may want to try it yourself (link at top of page) or have a company that provides this service come out and do one for you.

good luck.

[Edited by billva on 05-20-2006 at 02:22 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jj2000
    BTW, the contractor told me to remove the high efficiency filters after the 2nd service call.

Without seeing your return setup in your house, I'd have to say you would have been better off going with the installer that suggested upgrading the ductwork..the high efficiency filters just compound the problem in these instances...as you have already realized, you got what you paid for.

Post Likes
    Lessons learned. I'll let y'all know how this service call goes. I'm pretty sure somebody out there looking to upgrade/install HVACs will come across this board/forum and help them make an informed decision.

Post Likes
    suction line - beer can cold for you home owners = close enough . snow = bad problem
    low air flow and over charge of freon are two causes
    tstat = red herring
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Blower motor or relay? ,you didn't replace the furnace right? How old is it?

Post Likes

ill bet this is the problem... yank that sucker out... or a return air restriction/ air flow problem... for some reason i dont suspect a T-stat... thats the first thing that gets changed when a tech gets stumped... and gee it usually isn't the problem...

Post Likes
    You have airflow problems. Is the blower wheel clean where it scoops the air? What size blower do you have. If it's a four ton unit you need a 1600 cfm blower. Somewhere in that system you have airflow issues. Is the duct adequate for a four ton unit 1600 cfm? If the airflow isn't right then you won't create enough load on evaporator to keep it from freezing. Oversizing can also be an issue..Get someone who knows what their doing out there...

Post Likes
    I have seen liquid line driers used on suction lines, I wouldn't ,can't really see what the dia. of that drier is .Why would this hack have a 7/8 liq.line drier on his truck. That's heavy commerical.What's the model # of the furnace.This contractor KNOWS the R A has some issues if he told the H O to remove the original filters.

Post Likes
    Only sporlan is certified to put a liquid line filter in the suction line - or is it the other way suction line filter in the liquid line?
    I don't think Alco has that certification
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes

suction line

assuming your model no. capacity is 44, it appears you dont have a 4 ton (48,000 btuh) but a 44,000 btuh unit. also it appears your liquid line drier is installed on the suction line. if your txv is located at your ahu then you have a restriction in your drier that is acting like another txv (thermostatic expansion valve)-note the freezing of the drier when the unit is on. replace the drier, and get a price reduction on the installation of the unit for all your wear and tear on your nerves.

Post Likes
    Yes , first thing to do would be to get that drier out of there and put the right part in its place. Then start trouble shooting this unit. Do we all agree that this drier shouldn't be installed on the suction line . Sometimes the answer is right in front of you . Now , why didn't I think of that?

Post Likes
    Hi,

Thank y'all for your responses. The contractor came in, replaced the tstat, went up the attic, and found an obstruction in the "squirrel cabinet." It was a large piece of insulation he says may have been from a previous install or servicing job. He was 99% sure it was the cause of the icing. The unit worked fine Sunday. My wife comes home today, calls me on my mobile, and says it is freezing up again.

Notes about the visit: I quizzed him about the drier and he says that it was in the right place. He pointed out that the size of the tube fit the suction line diameter.

I am going up the attic and take pictures of the blower etc. to let ya'all get a glimpse of what is going on. Edit: I have become sort of familiar with the external unit but the stuff in the attic is new territory. I know where the evaporator is (b in the picture?). Where might I find the specs for the blower or even take a picture of it? Everything looks taped up and I don't see any access panels. Thanks.
    '

[Edited by jj2000 on 05-22-2006 at 07:39 PM]

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast