+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SQE body blues.

Post Likes

SQE body blues.

Was on a job the other day and wanted to share this....

was told to go on a floral case, our guy was just there and replaced the tev and, was back again to adj.

case was in low temp. Alarm overnight, I was asked to checkout 'cause the original tech was not in that day and it's now a sore subject.

found multi-deck floral case was 26 degs and flood back to rack...hmmm.

checked and saw valve was just replaced w/ new sqe body and power element for 134a.

Googled the mfr. for more info on the required tonnage....pumped down and removed powerhead/element to find that the cartridge was never installed.

I find interesting 'cause this could ,and should, have been avoided. And I should have known right away, as the little aluminum tag to identify the cartridge was not attached as it should have been.

I installed the blue cartridge, and tagged appropriately, and case is working great.

Post Likes
    Flooding back you say? So did your guy build the valve and just forgot the cartridge? Crazy that none of the compressors got washed out.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Post Likes

He 'forgot' to put the cartridge in???

What's next? 'Forgetting to put gas in? Forgetting to put the compressor in?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What did he write for the startup report numbers?

After he put the new TXV in - what did he record as the performance numbers?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    what a find it always come down to good mech work and a keen hiside of the work you do.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What it comes down to -

What it comes down to to me is:

If you check every thing, and write it down, you cannot miss any thing.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by seemungaln View Post
    what a find it always come down to good mech work and a keen hiside of the work you do.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    No cartridge, I would guess, is around 20 tons. I'm surprised the case wasn't the same temperature as the liquid feed going to in.

Post Likes
    I. Think he bought the valve ...thinking it was a regular valve , as opposed to a kit body and just put it in and ran.lol...

Thing is he had to know it was flooding....the stem was all the way in....oh yeah, rack was also low on gas, but that's a whole different story.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    After he put the new TXV in - what did he record as the performance numbers?
    Well, he wrote in the log book...."installed new txv w/ new power head, tested adj. Sh and all okay.

Was everything, but, ok.

Post Likes
    "Sore subject" would be an understatement.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post
    No cartridge, I would guess, is around 20 tons. I'm surprised the case wasn't the same temperature as the liquid feed going to in.
    The distributor has an oriface to make sure that the liquid/gas mixture flows evenly to all of the tubes. Probably was enough of a restriction to make it work sort of.

Post Likes
    In an infinite universe there's infinite room for stupid mistakes.

Sounds like your boy changed the valve, saw there was a problem with the new one and hoped it'd just go away.

A bit like a puppy crapping on the carpet then trying to push the carpet over it with its nose...
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_scheel View Post
    The distributor has an oriface to make sure that the liquid/gas mixture flows evenly to all of the tubes. Probably was enough of a restriction to make it work sort of.
    Bob makes a good point here...and also if you consider that this system is running R134A, where the available pressure drop (at design) is about half that of R404A, it makes even more sense why it didn't wash out a compressor or two.

If the system was running at a typical cool-weather condition of 20# suction and 70# condensing the available pressure drop at best would be about 50 psi. If you deduct the typical pressure drop through the distributor and distributor tubes of 15 psi at 1 ton for this case, you're left with around 35 psi through the valve.

I can see then how it might have gotten by without flooding back too terribly awful.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in