Walk in cooler issues

Walk in cooler issues

I have a client with a walk-in cooler problem or bad pressures, the unit cools but I don't like it. There are 2 evaporators and the cooler size is about 3000 sq ft, anyhow the one evap i replaced in the winter, the other is original, the compressor was replaced 2 years ago as well as the oil sensor and pump. The system was going off on low oil pressure, due to the differential being around 10 psi, the sight glass on the crankcase was clear, you can see the droplets of oil when the system is running, I figured that i needed to add oil because maybe the old coil had a lot of oil left in it that never went back to crankcase so i added a quart, the oil pressure went up to about 60-65 psi with a suction of 40-45, the suction press on r-22 is 40, the hi side is 200, ambient is 70 deg, receiver has 65 pd capacity, i have 53 pds in it with a full sight glass. I can't get the suction press up, the coils are clean, and the txvs are cranked open, the superheat is still too high at 18 deg, subcooling is 6 deg , could need more refrigerant but the sight glass was full 5 pds ago, so i have not added anymore, but the signs point to the system still being low, the box temp is down to 39 deg with these pressures, but i don't like the low suction pressure. Any help is appreciated.

Did you independantly check each evap coils' suction superheat? If not, one could be flooding, and the other starving, resulting in an avg 18 deg SH.

Another thing could be pressure drop in suction line if it is not sized properly. To properly check evap SH, you have to have a port on the suction leaving the coil, so you can determine if there is a pressure drop from there to the condenser.

there is a port on the suction line at the end of the evaporator, thought of the underfeeding, i opened up that txv all the way, the old evap i did nothing with the txv yet and there is no drop, both evaps have 18 deg superheat, around 36 deg suction lines

40# sounds about right to me for r-22 at 39 degrees

So is the oil pressure 20 or 60-65, both of which are on the high and low end respectively? Is there an oil return issue? Reciever has 65lbs capacity at 100% full or 80% full? If that's at 80% full sounds like your pretty close to a full charge. Subcooling #'s will vary if your bypassing thru the headmaster or unit is not working at design temp. Are the txv's sized properly? I also believe there is nothing wrong with 40psi on the low side.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Id check the screens in the TXV's and confirm they are the right size like he said.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    What makes you think that 40# is low suction?
    thats about a 16 deg coil which will give you about a 26 deg box temp if you use the 10 deg split, the superheat is still too high also, but I guess i could be wrong, i was taught this way on the evap splits

The TD (not 'split') is determined when it is engineered.

It isn't always 10 degrees, so using that rule of thumb isn't always good.

40 pounds is a fairly normal R-22 medium temp suction pressure, give or take a pound or two.

The superheat is an issue. I'd like to see 8-10 degrees SH at the coil.

Yea 40 is about right.

I start at 6 deg SH at the txv bulb. That will usually be real close and what a new evaporator spec sheet will tell you to set it at. From there ill adjust to get the least swing or most stable point.

If your backed all the way out and still have 18 deg SH then your evaporator isnt flooded. You need to figure out why

Well; let's think about this a little -

Water cooled design-condensing would be 105. Air cooled design-condemsing would be 125. You are at 101. Lack of oil return may be low refrigerant flow / low head pressure / poor head pressure control. I would start with making it control at about 117.

The SSH is too high at the coils. This commonly results from either insufficient subcooling or insufficient refrigerant flow despite having adequate subcooling. See paragraph 1 above. The TXV's are only so big. After you get the head pressure to 117 - get the subcooling to 10 if it's not already there - and see how the TXV's flow then. The TXV's may be too small but let's make them do as much as they can before condemning them.

BTW: Did you really say that you thought oil was logged out in the system somewhere - so you added More oil? <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by zuke19 View Post
    I have a client with a walk-in cooler problem or bad pressures, the unit cools but I don't like it. There are 2 evaporators and the cooler size is about 3000 sq ft, anyhow the one evap i replaced in the winter, the other is original, the compressor was replaced 2 years ago as well as the oil sensor and pump. The system was going off on low oil pressure, due to the differential being around 10 psi, the sight glass on the crankcase was clear, you can see the droplets of oil when the system is running, I figured that i needed to add oil because maybe the old coil had a lot of oil left in it that never went back to crankcase so i added a quart, the oil pressure went up to about 60-65 psi with a suction of 40-45, the suction press on r-22 is 40, the hi side is 200, ambient is 70 deg, receiver has 65 pd capacity, i have 53 pds in it with a full sight glass. I can't get the suction press up, the coils are clean, and the txvs are cranked open, the superheat is still too high at 18 deg, subcooling is 6 deg , could need more refrigerant but the sight glass was full 5 pds ago, so i have not added anymore, but the signs point to the system still being low, the box temp is down to 39 deg with these pressures, but i don't like the low suction pressure. Any help is appreciated.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.