Thread: Inserts ??????

My house is 40 years old, very well biult ( if you may allow me to brag)
    It's a split entry nothing fancy.
    What keeps an insert from sucking all the heat out of the house like the fireplace does now?

Sealed combustion.

^^^
    What he said.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

I really dont know how an insert works. Apparently it must convert the chimney from a one way out to a combustion air in and a regulated out arrangement.

Are you talking about wood or gas inserts?

Wood

Most wood inserts are not 'totally sealed' such as a DV gas insert is. They are much tighter than the older style wood stoves though. And they are infinitely better than a wide open gaping hole of a fireplace. They only draw as much air in as they need to operate, and don't suck all the warm room air out the chimny. Due to their design and tighter construction, they are much more efficient. (more BTU's out of each piece of wood) Hope this helps a little.

Cool difference

btw a modern EPA Phase II woodstove insert versus an open hearth? Stoves come in well under 35:1 ratio of air to fuel on a weight basis so they must meet the EPA stds., which in and of itself drives the stoves even tighter. Your average stove now is resistant to spillage up to about 15 Pascals of negative pressure, whereas the typical open hearth will spill at neg. 3-5 Pa. The open hearth will such 300-600 cfm up the chimney while a woodstove drawing on room air might pull in 15-45 cfm. The typical open hearth's overall efficiency ranges from a high of maybe 25% down to negative 200%, while a woodstove is much much higher, depending upon the fuel source, energy to cut it and get it on site, etc., etc. A decent stove can cook you out of the house versus a fireplace freezing you. There's a rumor that wingbacked chairs were invented to sit in front of the Fp without the breeze passing your face making you sick.

HTH,

I have a little Avalon wood insert and I believe they rate it at 68% efficiency. Just looking at it, you can see that you have a large chunk of Iron and it's completely lined in firebricks that all heat up. Not to mention the actuall firebox area is quite SMALL. The thing made a huge difference in the downstairs in my split level, I didnt have to turn the heat on until mid December for the most part. The gas co estimated my November bill so high that I didnt have a gas bill until January.

I use a hearthstone insert in my fireplace. The insert and the fan on switch at my stat is all i use to heat 2200 sq ft up to about 72 degress, all on about 6 logs every day. this works until the temps dip into the low teens then it will keep the house about 65 all with out the gas running unless i am gone for more than 10 hours