peltier cooled wine chiller

My wine chiller doesn't have a compressor, it uses a heat sink fan and a "cold sink" fan. I believe it uses a peltier between the two. The internal temperature according to the display is 80 degrees, which I believe to be accurate, but that means something is broken because it should be chilling to 65 degrees. Room temperature is near 70 degrees, so something is heating up the inside of the wine cellar.

Both fans are running, and the peltier makes a barely audible humming sound when it's plugged into the circuit board. Since the peltier hums, and the inside is hotter than room temperature, I thought maybe something happened and the polarity got reversed somewhere in the circuit. I reversed the power cables to reverse the polarity, as a method to check if the polarity was already switched somehow by a short out in the circuit board. This caused the internal temperature to climb really fast, bringing hot air from the outside in instead of from the inside out as I was hoping. To me that suggests that polarity is not the issue, and the peltier is working to some degree.

To summarize, the posted temperature seems accurate, the two heat sink fans are operating, and the peltier has the correct polarity and works to some unknown degree. However, the internal compartment is about 10 degrees warmer than room temperature. Ice packs in the compartment will cool it quickly, but upon removing, the compartment rapidly heats up again. Something is warming the internal compartment. Could this somehow be related to a faulted NTC thermister?

Well I've got to say this has caught my interest. A quick visit to Wikipedia gave a decent explanation of what you've got. I remember hearing of something about solid state air conditioning several years ago. This must have been what was being talked about. I have no experience with this, but I do know two things it has in common with all other forms of HVAC: a power supply and heat transfer. I would suggest you, or a qualified service technician (if you are not one yourself), verify the proper output of the power supply to the peltier device, and ensure there is proper contact between the device and the heat source (whatever that is, in the wine chiller) and the heat sink (ambient air?). Wish I could offer more help, but I'm hoping to learn something myself.

This wine cooler doesn't really fit the definition of a "chiller" in HVAC lingo. Perhaps the thread should be moved to the "general discussion" area.

I would advise you verify the "DC" volts at the module, looking for a maximum of 15vdc. Then check for any AC volts as a counterpart. No "AC volts should be present. Any AC volts means a failed power supply and must be replaced.
    I have been playing around with some Russian made Peltiers for quite a few years for the Ice bin on me gettum' there quick fishing boat. I am using 2 modules rated @76 watts each mounted on a couple of York Solid-State-Starter heat sinks and using surface water from my live well for the cooling. The module specs call for a 75°c difference between the surfaces. I do know that when you hook one to a 9volt battery, you will get burned on one finger and your thumb might stick to the cold side in a few seconds...The downside is they will drain my batteries without both engines running before long...Methinks I needs a VERY quite generator to keep my Ice as Ice...
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Hey Richard
    I have some cabinet coolers set up for telecom racks - 48 vdc. They were in a couplre of skids of cabinet coolers I bought. If your interested email me.

Da' Wolf got mail.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Check if you are getting around 12V at the wires to the peltier. If not, check the capacitors on the power supply board. Look for any with bulging tops. If you find any, replace them.