Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A rotary tool like a dremel works great for cutting the end sheet away from the copper so you can braze the leak. I have had some instances where the leak was right at the outside of the end sheet and I was able to slowly push the end sheet back with a hammer and chisel enough to braze the crack.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac69 View Post
    A rotary tool like a dremel works great for cutting the end sheet away from the copper so you can braze the leak. I have had some instances where the leak was right at the outside of the end sheet and I was able to slowly push the end sheet back with a hammer and chisel enough to braze the crack.

Are you referring to the end loops? If so then yes you will have to cut out the plate. Coil fins can be stripped with some needle nose pliers or burned off with a torch if you can't get a tool on them.

These leaks are usually from vibration, check your condenser fans and make sure they aren't creating too much ruckass, then check your coils and make sure they are clean.

Much like when trane or american standard uses aluminum to bind with the copper these connections can be a pain in the a**. I found it easier to cut the whole section out and compression coupling or flare fitting something back in. Sounds like a hack job but have you ever tried to braze aluminum?
    The only decision in life is to decide what to do with the time given to you

DONT USE IT! I used it to try to help out an old time custumer and it ended up seizing the compressor 3 months later

replaced the condenser

We had the same problem with a Carrier 7.5 Ton. The unit was in excellent condition. Leaks developed on the end tubes aganist the plate. We replaced the condenser coil in 2010 have not had a problem since.

I've cut into a york rooftop avap coil that the galv plate had rubbed through. It only took me an hour or two to actually fic the leak. Recover, cut around tube(s), clean and carefully fix leak, evacuate recharge!

Its not a hard repair the galv. is easily removed.

Ive only used stop leak once and it was done with plenty of warning from me to him on what could happen. It was for a customer with a leaking evap who planned on replacing after getting through one more summer. It worked and im still waiting on him to call me for that changeout, 4 years later. Havnt even been back to charge it since.

I dont think Id even consider using it for a condenser leak to begin with and would only use it in an instance like i listed. His unit had never been charged by anyone but me so assuming the installer pulled a vacuum the system was dry, which is why it probably worked.

Putting it in an already wet system or one you pulled a poor vacuum on due to it being a leaker would surely cause premature failure.

Drill or dremel the tube sheet.Easy be careful when brazing, u tubes burn holes easily when to much heat is applied.Never used leak stop before but doesnt sound to good. We are HVAC techs not automotive repair stations. Do it right or dont do it at all.

Stop leak should be outlawed. I've seen it kill compressors and I will never use it. Learn to repair the leak as the other pros' have stated. I've silver soldered over the galvanized steel and have cut away the fins and sheet as needed. Works well with patience.

Quote Originally Posted by gmac100 View Post
    I replaced a compressor in a 7.5 ton Carrier roof top unit on a restaurant recently. It went well and the unit runs fine. I went back a few days later to check things out and found a big oil spot on the condensing coil. It looks like a pretty good leak. This unit is 10 years old and in hind sight I shoud have probably just replaced the unit. But it seemed pretty sound.
    I feel bad for the owner since he spent his good money after bad equipment.
    My question is, this refrigerant stop leak. Does it work ?
    I think if I could get him through this summer, he'd replace the unit next year. The coil is leaking around the galvanized end plates. So it can't be fixed.
    Thanks.
    Don't use stop leak. Your contractor can carefully cut out the galvanized tube sheet around the leak and solder the leak. If the copper tube gets damaged, he can sweat in a coupling. I've done this many times.

Wink

I replaced a compressor in a 7.5 ton Carrier roof top unit on a restaurant recently. It went well and the unit runs fine. I went back a few days later to check things out and found a big oil spot on the condensing coil. It looks like a pretty good leak. This unit is 10 years old and in hind sight I shoud have probably just replaced the unit. But it seemed pretty sound.
    I think if I could get him through this summer, he'd replace the unit next year. The coil is leaking around the galvanized end plates. So it can't be fixed.
    Thanks.
    I feed bad for the owner2 ,but don,t know why in restaurant the unit wear out quick ,sounds like u may have to replace the unit .i just replaced the 7.5 ton Carrier roof top unit this morning still have the unit .what,s model # ?i was thinking take it to scrap metal .

Thanks.
    A leak can be fixed at tube sheets but you MUST clean the tubing and the steel thoroughly. First using needle nose pliers I rip the fins off at the repair site by grabbing and spinning the fins (both sides of tube sheet). Then sand the tube and sheet best you can with sandcloth, then I take a small stainless steel wire brush and brush into the junction of the tube and tube sheet (on both sides). Once it is very clean use silver solder paste (on tube AND tube sheet) and 45% silver solder soldering the tube to the tube sheet on both sides. Make sure the silver solder flux gets up onto the tube sheet and into the tube/tubesheet junction. When properly cleaned the silver solder will flow over the tube and up onto the tube sheet easily.

What everyone is telling you above about cutting around the leak and the fin material is spot on, just make sure you inform the customer and let him know what you are going to do. If he just replaced the compressor thats your best option. you want to make sure he is aware so that he doesn't call out a second opinion and the guy says," look what this guy did."

I just used it on a system . Ddnt fix leaks in evaporate coil. Bid to replace coil or new unit . Hope they replace unit cuz now I'm worried bout compressors nvr used it. Was recommended by refrigeration tech...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast