Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Refrigerant Stop Leak

I replaced a compressor in a 7.5 ton Carrier roof top unit on a restaurant recently. It went well and the unit runs fine. I went back a few days later to check things out and found a big oil spot on the condensing coil. It looks like a pretty good leak. This unit is 10 years old and in hind sight I shoud have probably just replaced the unit. But it seemed pretty sound.
    I feel bad for the owner since he spent his good money after bad equipment.
    My question is, this refrigerant stop leak. Does it work ?
    I think if I could get him through this summer, he'd replace the unit next year. The coil is leaking around the galvanized end plates. So it can't be fixed.
    Thanks.

Do not use stop leak, it ought to be called stop compressor. You can fix a leak around the galvanized just cut it out very carefully and use low heat, but make sure you know exactly where the leak is.

Quote Originally Posted by gmac100 View Post
    I replaced a compressor in a 7.5 ton Carrier roof top unit on a restaurant recently. It went well and the unit runs fine. I went back a few days later to check things out and found a big oil spot on the condensing coil. It looks like a pretty good leak. This unit is 10 years old and in hind sight I shoud have probably just replaced the unit. But it seemed pretty sound.
    I feel bad for the owner since he spent his good money after bad equipment.
    My question is, this refrigerant stop leak. Does it work ?
    I think if I could get him through this summer, he'd replace the unit next year. The coil is leaking around the galvanized end plates. So it can't be fixed.
    Thanks.
    I never used it but hear bad things about it.Also I seen on it that in order for it to work youhave to pull a vacuum down to 400 Micron which is hard with a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by FixItRight View Post
    I never used it but hear bad things about it.Also I seen on it that in order for it to work youhave to pull a vacuum down to 400 Micron which is hard with a leak.
    Yes that is pretty funny. They CYAed on that one.

Dont do it or youll be changing that compressor again

Quote Originally Posted by coolerik View Post
    Dont do it or youll be changing that compressor again

Just pump cement in there and get it over with

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post

Just pump cement in there and get it over with

Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    Do not use stop leak, it ought to be called stop compressor. You can fix a leak around the galvanized just cut it out very carefully and use low heat, but make sure you know exactly where the leak is.
    ^THIS!^

It's really not a difficult repair to make, it just takes time. I've done this several times (mostly on RHEEM units), and haven't had any call backs. Just be very careful with your heat and you'll be fine.

I have used it twice on older McQuay heat pumps and haven't had any problems, it seals the leaks for good. I get it from united.

http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-52.pdf

how would you braze galvanized? would you use silver solder or soft solder?i have never done it before thanks

U dont braze the galvanized, you carefully cut it out and silfos the leak... time comsuming but better than putting glue in the system and distroying the whole unit

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    I have used it twice on older McQuay heat pumps and haven't had any problems, it seals the leaks for good. I get it from united.

http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-52.pdf
    U got lucky or somthing, cause i used once when i was an apprentice, and the compressor packed it in a week later...never even concidered using it again.. fix it right and dont be lazy

Don't use stop leak. It's only approved if you are a 'home warranty servicer'.

I have great results with this stuff concerning your situation. I use needle nose pliers to remove the aluminum fin material (3" x 3" square or larger) around the area of the leak, then braze the copper tube and galvanized together, encapsulating the leak. Watch your heat - the copper tubing is thin, and the galvanized will not accept the brazing if it is 'cherried' (overheated) for too long.

I have done this many many times with great results. Do not breathe the fumes from the galvanized or it will make you sick - very sick.

This beats trying to cut the galv away from the tubing, as it always gets damaged, then you have to cut it and 'sleeve' it with 1/2". Unless you prefer to spend a long time cussing on a 'temporary' repair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast