+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Float Switch in Rooftop Unit

Post Likes

Post Float Switch in Rooftop Unit

I am curious to find out if anyone else has come across this issue. I have been doing HVAC work *both commercial and residential* for about 9 yrs now and have never come across the problem i did today. After installing two 5 ton rooftop units and getting the inspector to approve it, he came back saying that he could not pass it unless i had a float switch on both units. I have never had to install a float switch on a package unit before and i thought this was a little crazy. The job was in Ky, so i'm not sure if anyone in other states has any information on this or if this inspector was just being ridiculous. I do not know of any code that requires a rooftop package unit to have a float switch installed.

Post Likes
    You have to have them in FL..... They are getting ready to pass it so a mini split has to have a float switch.....
    HOPE IS WHAT WE CRAVE

Post Likes
    It's required in my side of the world.Shure beats having soaking wet ducts smelling real refreshing.

Post Likes
    It's been in the IMC for a few years now, some states are only just moving into the relevant IMC code cycle for it to apply in that state.
    My question is, why if the IMC says that the condensate overflow device must be in the unit not external why does the manufacturer not fit it?

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    Thank you for the posts. I guess this could be something that is going to start happening more. I have done jobs all over the east coast and never had to do that but i guess i will need to start asking about that.

Post Likes
    Moved thread to tech-to-tech commercial

Post Likes
    Unless it is local code I think the inspector has told you wrong. In most cases though it easier to comply with what they want and move on to the next job.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jburchstead View Post
    Unless it is local code I think the inspector has told you wrong. In most cases though it easier to comply with what they want and move on to the next job.
    AMEN, I have not heard of this before, but it comes down to the inspector. I would nicely ..Niiiiicely..ask show me the code. They are human of course. But it wouldn't surprise me. In some places they will not let you to drain condensate off on the roof or in the storm drains. it has to be piped to the sewer. It amazes me, Man makes the rules and than wonders why the cost of stuff keeps rising.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    AMEN, I have not heard of this before, but it comes down to the inspector. I would nicely ..Niiiiicely..ask show me the code. They are human of course. But it wouldn't surprise me. In some places they will not let you to drain condensate off on the roof or in the storm drains. it has to be piped to the sewer. It amazes me, Man makes the rules and than wonders why the cost of stuff keeps rising.

IMC 307.2.3.1

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    IMC 307.2.3.1
    All i can say great Idea! this should be a factory design issue. either way not a big deal

Post Likes
    If it's a downflow, yes, we are required to install a float. On side discharge, no. The IMC is ambiguous:

"On downflow units and all other coils that do not have a secondary drain or provisions to install a secondary or auxiliary drain pan, a water-level monitoring device shall be installed inside the primary drain pan. This device shall shut off the equipment served in the event that the primary drain becomes restricted. Devices installed in the drain line shall not be permitted"

Some believe, since the code specifically addresses downflow units, that eliminates a requirement for side discharge units to have a float. It's all in the interpretation. However, having said that, it's best not to argue with the local inspectors.

Post Likes
    Don't require them in this part of indiana, they do in Louisville. I've seen them on upflow furnaces in basements, in louisville.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    If it's a downflow, yes, we are required to install a float. On side discharge, no. The IMC is ambiguous:

"On downflow units and all other coils that do not have a secondary drain or provisions to install a secondary or auxiliary drain pan, a water-level monitoring device shall be installed inside the primary drain pan. This device shall shut off the equipment served in the event that the primary drain becomes restricted. Devices installed in the drain line shall not be permitted"

Some believe, since the code specifically addresses downflow units, that eliminates a requirement for side discharge units to have a float. It's all in the interpretation. However, having said that, it's best not to argue with the local inspectors.
    How is that even accomplished on the smaller RTU's?

Alot of the pans are just as wide as the coil and tight against them.

Post Likes

float switch?

Umm where would you mount it? in the blower section? im in Canada not sure if that is even being considered here. any pics?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    How is that even accomplished on the smaller RTU's?

Alot of the pans are just as wide as the coil and tight against them.
    Attachment 251771They don't hold up, but they're enough to get the inspector off our backs.

Post Likes
    I did two last summer, existing units that the lines had stopped up. But they had an 1 1/2" on the pan to put it on, used a bulldog float switch.

Don't see an easy way to fix one with 1/2" gap by pan, and don't think wet switch would work in base pan of unit.

Hard way would be to put second sheet metal pan under main pan and put switch on that.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Try an Aquaguard AG 3180E
    Get them from Totaline

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in