+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace evaporator coil

Post Likes

Replace evaporator coil

Hi guys,
    Im new in the industry and new on this site.
    I installed an evaporator coil in an upflow unit. After charging with a few pound of r22 and turned on the ac to start doing superheat and subcool reading to adjust the freon levels I noticed a hissing sound near the line drier I installed about 4 feet from the air handler. The unit was holding pressure when I tested when I pressure tested with nitrogen and I maintained pressure in the gauges so I am sure it is not a leak. I am wondering if I got too much solder in the line and that is causing an obstruction in my attempt to make sure I had good joints. Tell me what you think

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post
    Hi guys,
    Im new in the industry and new on this site.
    I installed an evaporator coil in an upflow unit. After charging with a few pound of r22 and turned on the ac to start doing superheat and subcool reading to adjust the freon levels I noticed a hissing sound near the line drier I installed about 4 feet from the air handler. The unit was holding pressure when I tested when I pressure tested with nitrogen and I maintained pressure in the gauges so I am sure it is not a leak. I am wondering if I got too much solder in the line and that is causing an obstruction in my attempt to make sure I had good joints. Tell me what you think
    How would you get to much solder in the joint?

Post Likes
    I think that would be an awful lot of solder if you have a restriction it should show up on your gauges

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not sure, was just thinking maybe some dripped into the pipe. I pushed a lot in there. Was reaching I guess because I didn't know any other reason there would be a hissing sound other than a leak which it is not.

Post Likes
    If you have a restriction you would notice a temperature drop across the drier not to mention probably see something in your pressures superheat and subcooling.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I probably used a quater stick

Post Likes
    I had to shut it down for the day but I was getting only 45 pounds on the low and about 80 degrees before I left so I was very confused

Post Likes
    try pressuring the unit back up and soap bubble your weld joints

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Change View Post
    I probably used a quater stick
    you should only need as much as it takes to wrap around the pipe

Post Likes
    Ok, I will again. I did hold 100 pounds of nitrogen and soap bubbled the joint before adding freon

Post Likes
    you should only need as much as it takes to wrap around the pipe

Yes I know your right about that but since it was my first time soldering since school and my first real job I was a little paranoid and jammed a lot in there

Post Likes
    80 pipe temp

Post Likes
    Do you have any other ideas on the hissing sound

Post Likes
    Yes, suction was reading about 80

Post Likes
    possibly improper charge

Post Likes
    Yes, the suction side was reading about 80 degrees and 45 pounds pressure

Post Likes
    How is the subcooling

Post Likes
    A few questions for you....

1. Did you pull a vacuum? how many microns?
    2. Does it have a TXV?
    - If not did you put piston in?
    3. Did you out the drier in the correct way?

Also by adding 100 psi of nitrogen you stand a chance of not seeing the leak due to the nitrogen changing into a liquid , and therefore keeping your pressure around the same IF you had a leak.... Obviously over time it would show due to it leaking.

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AddMore22 View Post
    Also by adding 100 psi of nitrogen you stand a chance of not seeing the leak due to the nitrogen changing into a liquid , and therefore keeping your pressure around the same IF you had a leak.... Obviously over time it would show due to it leaking.
    I disagree with that statement. 100 psig is not very high at all, and there is no way he has liquid nitrogen. The Nitrogen in the tank is a vapor at 1000 psig, and will remain a vapor at 100 psig unless he is cooling it very very very much. We use Nitrogen for leak checks because its pressure does not change much based on temperature.

You get the hissing when the system is running, correct? The hissing is probably liquid refrigerant flashing into a vapor, which should not happen in the lineset. If you have measurable subcooling leaving the outdoor unit, and there is no significant pressure drop before the metering device, this should not happen. If your lost pound of solder is clogging the filter drier, you should get a measurable temperature drop across the filter drier.

What are your subcooling, liquid line pressure, and liquid line temperature? May as well give us superheat, too. If you don't know how to find those data, you better ask some more questions.
    Jason

Post Likes
    I agree with bja105. If you suspect that there is a leak, go ahead and pressure check it again. And put in a new dryer. But if this is your first time brazing since school that sound could be a lot of things. I wouldn't eliminate it to just soldering the line set. It could easily be refrigerant making the sound. Good luck finding it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in