Thread: Trane vs Amana

Post Likes

Trane vs Amana

New user, needs input.
    I have a 2400 sq ft, single story home in DFW, TX area. Over the last 2 yrs, my average electric bill is $160/mo. I have two proposals for replacing my total electric HVAC system with a heat pump. First proposal is a Trane, 5 ton, 15 SEER, with variable speed airhandler. The second proposal is for an Amana, 5 ton, 16 SEER, 2 speed heat pump with variable speed airhandler. The Trane has a 10 yr parts and labor warranty, the Amana has a lifetime replacement on hp, 10 yrs on parts and labor. The cost difference between the two systems is negligible. My confidence in each company's installers and warranty support is the same. So my dilemma is which one to choose. I have not had experience with either manufacturer and I know what I'm asking is going to be very subjective, depending on who is answering. But I've still got to ask: "Which would be the correct choice?"

Post Likes
    Do you have a quarter? Heads, Trane, tails, Amana. Good luck.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Assuming that the installing contractors are comparable, the amana will be slightly more efficient, it will be a 2 stage unit which is a big benefit, and if the compressor fails year 11 the trane system will be replaced at your expense (most likely the entire system) as the compressor will not be under warranty. The amana system will provide either a new condenser or compressor at no charge (although you will be paying labor). If you are going to be living in the home for only a few years it really does not matter. If you are going to be there for the long term the better warranty seems to make sense to me.

Post Likes
    Do you have a 5 ton currently installed ,do you need a 5 ton or could you add some insulation and go down to a 4 ton, Also at 160.00 a month unless its broke ...

Post Likes
    In answer to the questions;
    I currently have a 5 ton Lennox HVAC, non heat pump unit. The unit is approx 12 or 13 yrs old.
    There is 18" of insulation in the attic.
    The reason for replacing the unit now is that my wife and I are usually gone about 3 months of the yr. (part of the reason for the $160/avg) and a majority of that time is in the summer. I don't relish the idea of getting a phone call while I'm 2500 miles away from home that my A/C has died.
    And I also think that after 10 yrs, if either unit craps out, I'm going to be out some $s anyway.
    So again I ask, how does the Amana 2 stage hp compressor stack up against the single stage Trane? Overall, should the Trane be a more reliable, better built unit than the Amana?

Post Likes
    I have always found the Trane units especialy the 15 SEER to be the most reliable(so reliable that I in fact have a 15 SEER Trane XL15i Heat Pump at my house)

But select the best contractor first.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Which 1 is doing a load calculation? 5 ton sounds to big.

Post Likes
    They both did a load calculation. Both did the calculation using outside measurements. One took the measurements and went back to their office to do the calc. Their calc showed 4.2 tons. The other took the measurements and with his laptop, produced the report. It showed .70 SHR to be 3.6 tons. One of the reasons for stepping up to the larger unit is that from May to Sept. it is not uncommon for the temperature at 11 am to be the temperature at 10 pm. With humidity...

Post Likes
    AvantGarde, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gradyb View Post
    One of the reasons for stepping up to the larger unit is that from May to Sept. it is not uncommon for the temperature at 11 am to be the temperature at 10 pm. With humidity...
    And that means a larger size why?

Post Likes
    Only saying that it doesn't cool down as fast as other areas. And I'm not sure that they are proposing a "larger size" based on the load calcs. If the load calc shows 4.2 tons or 70% SHR @ 3.6 tons, would a 4 ton unit be large enough? I'd rather be safe than sorry. Still curious on whether the 2 stage compressor in the Amana unit would be a better deal than a 1 stage compressor in the Trane unit. Also, went back to the Trane quote and the unit is a 14 SEER unit, not a 15 SEER as originally stated.

Post Likes
    At night time without solar gain, heat gain is reduced.

On those hot days, did your old 5 ton have to run 24/7.

Post Likes
    Not 24/7. But, keeping inside temp @ 79 (with fans) and 80 at night is not the most comfortable, either.

Post Likes
    You probably have a 5 ton standard blower on a 4 ton duct system. So it not moving enough air. Did any of them check your duct work.

Post Likes
    Both contractors reviewed the duct work and said that it looked to be in excellent shape. The unit has 2 20 x 20 return ducts, ceiling mounted. Neither recommended any changes on the duct work. We don't have any complaints about hot spots or cold spots. There is nothing wrong(that I'm aware of) with the current unit except its' age and the fact that it's not a hp.

Post Likes
    2-20X20 grilles is a bit small for 5 tons.

Post Likes

Two stage is the way to go!!!

The benefit(s) of having a 2 stage unit is worth having over any single stage system. Hopefully when your home was built it had a heat load done and that information determined the tonnage required for your home, BUT, the heat load is calculated at specific temperatures. The amount of time that you actually need that large of a unit is a small percentage of the day. Any other time the unit is now over sized and doesn't get the run time in that it needs to remove the moisture in your home. So when you have a 2 stage unit, the unit will be more appropriately sized to your homes needs during the different times of the day! As for my business, single stage units account for less than 5% of our new unit sales. Id rather fix an existing system then replace it with outdated technology. Just my 2 cents ;-)

Post Likes
    Thanks #1 Maytag Man for the post. That is the kind of information I have been hoping to get. Maybe some of the others will follow your lead. Do you have an opinion of the Amana vs the Trane as far as reliablility, etc. My main concern now is that the Trane, according to Manual J output, is a XA13 system. Not a lot of documentation on that system, not even on the Trane website. Maybe someone can shed some light on what exactly is a XA13 system. The Amana system is an ASXC16 system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in