Nasty Noisy Nordyne

Went to start up a 5-ton Maytag M1010 condensing unit today that we installed in 2005, and the compressor was seized, tripping the breaker after humming for about 5 seconds or so. I replaced the capacitor and installed a hard-start capacitor, and to my pleasant suprise, the unit started and ran! The pressures were good, the amp draw was normal, the unit was cooling, but the compressor sounded like a freight train! The unit is up on a roof in a commercial area, so the noise is not an issue as far as bothering anybody, but based on your field experience, should I be ordering a replacement compressor asap, or can a noisy scroll compressor be expected continue to operate indefinitly? I never ran into such a situation before, my gut tells me this thing is probably on borrowed time, but I would love to hear others who have encountered this situation........
    professional member

It will seize up again. I forgot what a maytag warranty on commercial apps are.... but if it is in warr, I'd go ahead and recommend replacement.

Check your superheat. Sounds like it may have experienced lots of liquid floodback. A new compressor won't like it either.

Being on roof you might have an oil migration problem are there p-traps in lineset? How far up above the evap coil is the compressor?

You were right! Got a call the next day that the breaker was tripping and would not reset. The evaporator is about 10' lower than the condensing unit, and yes, we did install a trap in the lineset before it connected to the coil. The tubing on the roof also goes up apx 3' after it leaves the unit before it turns down thru an unused chimney flu. Could someone turning on the unit in the coldest weather have possibly damaged the compressor? Lots of hands on the thermostat..........
    professional member