+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A freezer - can I just eliminate the thermostat?

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

A freezer - can I just eliminate the thermostat?

Sears chest freezer. R-134. It's about six feet long. Electronic temperature readout and a little microprocessor to run everything. That all went south just as a food delivery was arriving. So I ran out, knew nothing about the control system so I installed a Supco 1/2 HP 3 n 1 kit on the compressor and wired the kit to the power cord.

I don't know where to get all the controls and don't have a lot of interest in finding out. I was going to put an ETC on the wall and have it power a controlled outlet to plug the freezer into. Drape the ETC probe inside the freezer for sensing.

But now I have the question: What do you think will happen if I just let it run all the time? <g> Eventually the suction pressure will balance the heat load and it will just sit there running.

What do you all think of that idea?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    It would probably cost the crap out of you to run it 24/7. Would be comparable to running a small window AC all the time.

Can you not take the controls out and just put in a regular old freezer t-stat off a True or similar?

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    I've done it on a temporary basis without problems. Is there a defrost built into the microprocessor that you no longer have? Also if it's for ice cream it will be too difficult to scoop.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Poodle Head Mikey is online now Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

I don't know what the food is but probably hot dogs and fries

I don't know what the food is but probably hot dogs and fries. It's a little hot dog and rootbeer place.

My feeling is that the chest freezer is manual defrost. There is a drain in the bottom of the case and the coils are in the walls. I can't see how it could have automatic defrost.

And what the hell - not it don't! <g>

I guess I'll mounts an ETC on the wall and power a separate "freezer receptacle" through the ETC contacts.

I just don't feel like it - I have been dragging my ass around for a week. Like a friggin zombie all the time.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    I've done it on a temporary basis without problems. Is there a defrost built into the microprocessor that you no longer have? Also if it's for ice cream it will be too difficult to scoop.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    - I have been dragging my ass around for a week. Like a friggin zombie all the time.
    try u some red bull

Post Likes

Isn't Red Bull an artificial stimulant? Like coffee?

Isn't Red Bull an artificial stimulant? Like coffee? Except that it tastes like dog poo instead of yummy coffee? <g>

I used to drink something every day that was green, Spirulina and a bunch a veggie things in it. My son just reminded me of that tonight when I made the same complaint to him. I had forgotten all about it - but it was Great stuff. But now I can Not remember the damned name! <g>

It's such a shame that cocaine got so expensive now. Although it probably wasn't healthy anyway. Always made for a very productive day though.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    try u some red bull
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    red bull goes well with vodka

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Isn't that like a goofball or speedball ?

Like heroin and meth?

Well; from what I understand anyway. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    red bull goes well with vodka

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    But now I have the question: What do you think will happen if I just let it run all the time?
    The evap will turn to a chunk of ice eventually.

Have an old def time clock laying around ??

Post Likes
    The defrost timer idea is great. Those little chest freezers run 90%. That Supco start relay will be toast within 6 mo.

Post Likes
    Not that im not a fan of easier controls and ones we're used to, but why not just take the model and serial and go to a Sears parts store. If they dont have it, they can get it.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    Not that im not a fan of easier controls and ones we're used to, but why not just take the model and serial and go to a Sears parts store. If they dont have it, they can get it.
    That would be the sissyboy way out .... we are re-inventing the wheel like a man!

Post Likes
    If its not frost free it will be a chunk of ice anyway.

Id just order the parts. If you dont want to, put a walk in freezer stat in it(probably cost as much or more than the correct parts though).

Defrost timer would be a waste of money. By the time the ice melted the food would be soft and youd have a swimming pool and a skating rink in the bottom of the chest.

Post Likes
    ...I guess I'll mounts an ETC on the wall and power a separate "freezer receptacle" through the ETC contacts.

I just don't feel like it - I have been dragging my ass around for a week. Like a friggin zombie all the time.
    Considering your current state of mind...

If you decide to mount a thermostat on the outside wall, remember there are condenser tubes attached to the inside.

Post Likes

That Is a good idea -

Sears
    M. # 263.16592100
    S. # WB64329887

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by DLZ Dan View Post
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes

No -the wall of the store <g>

Put an open-back handy box over the present receptacle - to extend it out. A box offset from it to another handy box for the controlled receptacle, and then another box offset to the ETC. Leave the freezer hard-wired and plug it into the controlled receptacle. Twenty minutes and I don't have to lay on the greasy floor and dick around with some miniature electronic Chinese horse**** control to do it.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Considering your current state of mind...

If you decide to mount a thermostat on the outside wall, remember there are condenser tubes attached to the inside.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=

I used to drink something every day that was green,
    -------[/QUOTE]

Nake Juice-Green machine is good stuff

Post Likes
    Sears
    M. # 263.16592100
    S. # WB64329887

PHM
    ------
    Go to sears.com
    model # is 253, not 263. part sells for $88.53
    If you run it all the time,your ice cream will be a brick.

Post Likes
    been try many times use custom parts to make it work, but in the long run find out the <some times the correct parts are cost less and get it done right !>worry free.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmira View Post
    Nake Juice-Green machine is good stuff

yes it is, tastes ok too
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in