Cleveland 21CET8 Steamer overfilling

I'm trying to figure how this thing is overfilling. I've watched and when you turn it on(Manual mode is how they operate it) the fill solenoid opens, water reaches the bottom probe, which then turns on the heating elements. when water hits the upper probe, the fill solenoid de-energizes, yet the water continues to rise in the float compartment...bad fill valve? no! I replaced the fill valve yesterday and it does exactly the same thing? where is the water coming from?

If I turn the steamer off at the on/off switch, and let it drain till it gets down to the proper level, it will stay there(I only tried this once because I ran out of time).

Any ideas?

This machine seems to have been neglected somewhat as I've already had to replace the drain valve because it has a huge piece of lime/calcium stuck in it(drain valve was tripping the reset button on the back).

I don't think this has been delimed as often as it should be.

Would there be any benefit to deliming the heck out of it multiple times to clean it up good?

Thanks!
    "Delay is preferable to error"- Thomas Jefferson

I would inspect the boiler too see how bad it is. I have had a couple of boilers in the past year that were so scaled up I had to replace them.

Here's the Cleveland Part # for a case of descaler CLE106174
    http://acfwb.com/

"The best preparation for good work tomorrow is to do good work today"

spewing rocks

I found out they delimed it on Friday the 9th and their problems started Saturday and it behaves inconsistently since then. And chunks of lime keep winding up in the steam compartment. The last time they delimed it one of the steam nozzles were blocked with chunks of lime.

Would it do any good to delime it frequently till it clears up?

what would the determining factors be in deciding it's too limed up and it's time to "buy a new one"?

Planning to remove one of the elements and check the inside of the boiler compartment.

Thanks for the reply

I've got some 24CET's that do the same or they will continuously drain after the cooks delime them. Always find a few chunks of lime stuck in the dump valve.

May be advice that's a bit belated. Theoretically steam shouldn't carry scale, but I've seen it's results over and over. That model employes a seperate probe housing and must vent equally to atmosphere with the generator.
    Take the top cover off the steamer, remove all the hoses from the generator up there and drill out the scale from those ports. I'd suggest also checking/cleaning out the nozzles feeding the cabinet. And, to be sure, replace the VENT check valve connected to the probe chamber.
    Sounds like there's a blockage there or the steam ports out of the generator. During FILL, the generator gets the water first. If the generator and probe housing don"t see atmosphere equally, the two aren't seeing the same water level and the generator will get more before a slow equalization lets the probe housing get it. Eventually, when the two equalize, the overfill in the generator will bleed back to the probe chamber and reveal the overfill.

"You never know what others don't know." -

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=tcape;12722111]I found out they delimed it on Friday the 9th and their problems started Saturday and it behaves inconsistently since then. And chunks of lime keep winding up in the steam compartment. The last time they delimed it one of the steam nozzles were blocked with chunks of lime.

Would it do any good to delime it frequently till it clears up?

what would the determining factors be in deciding it's too limed up and it's time to "buy a new one"?

Planning to remove one of the elements and check the inside of the boiler compartment.

Too limed up and time to buy a new one. NEVER. It can be delimed of course. I have even set up a pump system to push delimer through the boiler 24 hours a day until cleared. Then of course you figure out the delimming schedule that keeps the lime in check. in Fort Payne ,AL that would be once a week. So much lime in the water the urinals plug up in 6 months. Oh by the way I just finished 2 of these 21CET-8's that were blowing up the water level indicators due to plugged cooking cavity steam ports. Cleaning the steam ports stopped the pressurization on the water level probe. poor in house maint. man was completely out of his depth. Bottom line is when in doubt delime it more often.

High water level sensor and low water level sensor might be switched, switch the wires see what happens, won't hurt anything

Update- about 4 weeks ago they called and the unit was tripping the resettable breaker on the back. The Drain valve was stuck, I tried taking it apart and cleaning the crap out of it, but to no avail, the coil burned out while I was testing it. I got a new drain valve assembly for it(they ain't cheap!!) and it worked fine for about 3 weeks, then they called me and I took pictures of the rocks stuck in the drain valve and the connecting hoses. Cleaned them out and the unit is ok now, but I can't believe this thing has that much crap floating around in it.