+ Reply to Thread

Thread: valve bandit

Post Likes

valve bandit

This is the third unit i have serviced that is missing the service valves and ports. This is an old intertherm not the best unit in the world but they can take abuse pretty good. i have found out who is doing this. i thought it was just a one man operation but it turns out to be one of the big name bis. around here. LOL thanks to them i now have a new customer.

Post Likes
    That's weird I replaced a unit that didnt have any recently I had to recover instead of pumping down

Post Likes
    Most of those old Intertherm Mobile Home units had the Quick Connect Connections. They did not have service valves. When they start leaking you have to cut them out and re-pipe. Looks like they forgot to give you a high side port on that one.

Post Likes
    If the valves where leaking and the unit is old and customer is cheap and is in need of cooling. Why is this so wrong if two service ports are welded in at time of vlave replacement. I do not see what is so bad.

Maybe I am wrong ????

Post Likes
    yep i forgot you are right they did have the quick connect. bugs the he!! out of me

Post Likes
    So after they were done brazing the copper back together after removing the valves, how did they re-charge the unit or better yet, how did they pull a vacuum?

Post Likes
    I had to do this once. It was a fire job. the insurance company wasnt going to pay for new valves or unit(go figure). so i removed both service valves(they leaked) brazed in a tee with shraider port on both lines.

Post Likes
    the only way that they could add freon was through perm. suction. pulling a vac on the unit if they did it at all could not have been acheeved correctely.

Post Likes
    at least you added ports. i see nothing wrong with that

Post Likes
    It would be easy to remove the service valves, add a ball valve on the LL and brazed in schrader valves on suction and liquid. You can still pump down and all then.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in