Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

US, EU and Japan challenge China on rare earths at WTO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17348648

"When it is necessary, I will take action if our workers and our businesses are being subjected to unfair practices," Mr Obama added

If he does, I might vote for him.

Maybe.

They are killing the solar manufacturers with product dumping.

All previous presidents have shared bed with China and I do not expect current president to sleep on a sofa any time soon.

Angry They need to stop this aggression from china.

China is going to allow its own industry to use the metal but not our. That is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17348648

"When it is necessary, I will take action if our workers and our businesses are being subjected to unfair practices," Mr Obama added

If he does, I might vote for him.

Maybe.
    NObama, Take action.........unless it's destroying our economy, he won't do squat
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

He is taking action

Obama is taking action.

news.yahoo.com/obama-announce-rare-earth-trade-case-against-china-010510855.html

People should just get digging in the west. Just stupid to allow china to dominate this. What about Australia and the US. Both are realy huge and plenty of space to mine. Stop whining about it and start digging.

China is gonna do what the hell it wants to do. Obama can't do squat. He has no interest in improving this country. He'll gladly watch as China surpasses us and declare it serves us right. He is no friend of America...That should be obvious to anyone watching...
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

China is going up no matter what anyone does. They have 4 times the population of the US and pay diddly and they have a centrally planned economy. So unless you are willing to work for $1/hr, the only thing you can do is STOP BUYING CHINESE STUFF............(what will it take before you get it?).

Quit yer bellyaching........

If you're gonna stop buying Chineese stuff, what about Mexican stuff? Vietnamese stuff? If that's how you want to go, you're gonna lose. You won't be buying anything. The problem ain't in China, it's in D.C.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

No, the problem IS China, but you are right, it is not only china. China is just the biggest and best organized of the bunch. If they want to take over an industry, all it takes is an order from the bosses where we have to argue about ideology till the cows come home.

It is a matter of scale, if we wanted to put a tariff on Mexico we could do it with few ramifications, same for vietnam and some others. They don't hold much american debt but China is another thing.

The solution to this thing is a tariff that uses an neutral baseline and rewards or penalizes a country based on how they treat their citizens. Criteria could be, average wage, education levels, health care, retirement benefits, democratic institutions etc. Pick the US as a "1" then China would possibly be a ".5" and Germany could be a "1.2" (totally hypothetical at this point) and add a tariff or subtract based on the number.

We have tried other things but i think it is only a matter of time before somthing really drastic will have to happen.

Question Who's really to blame?

When you say for us to quit buying stuff made in China, what are we to do with no suitable alternative or replacement? China is kicking our butts because our labor costs killed whole industries here. Why do you think Detroit is such a garden spot? Do you think paying a kid whose first day on an auto assembly line more than four times what a Registered Nurse makes is cost effective? Do you think society can continue to absorb such costs? No, the economy has always been the sacrificial lamb for big labor since the turn of the century. Now, we have everyone screaming for redistribution of wealth and "fairness" then out of the same mouth complain about China.

Big labor is responsible for China's rise, make no mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    When you say for us to quit buying stuff made in China, what are we to do with no suitable alternative or replacement? China is kicking our butts because our labor costs killed whole industries here. Why do you think Detroit is such a garden spot? Do you think paying a kid whose first day on an auto assembly line more than four times what a Registered Nurse makes is cost effective? Do you think society can continue to absorb such costs? No, the economy has always been the sacrificial lamb for big labor since the turn of the century. Now, we have everyone screaming for redistribution of wealth and "fairness" then out of the same mouth complain about China.

I am sure that many people would like to buy goods made in this country, even for much higher price, but the problem is, it is very hard to find them.
    Have you noticed in supermarket they have sections with specialty food like kosher or gluten free?
    I wish that there was mandatory for Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart and other chains to have section only with products made in USA. This would made easer for costumers seeking American goods and help others to see what is going on with our economy.
    I agree that “big labor” has a lot to do with trade deficit with China but government is first to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post

Big labour is not responsible of Chinas rise, China is.....

China wanted what we have, plain and simple and the politics they have allows them design their system to get it. They keep their currency pegs to the US buck at a low rate and won't let it float, even though the rest of the world complains.

There is only two ways to fix the problem...1] get them to float their currency (which they won't do) because that will cause hyper inflation there and their wages will have to go up to match it. This make their products way too expensive for walmart.....or 2} drop our wages to $1/hr to compete. I'm not talking about a teacher or nurse salary, I'm talking about everyones salary and the guy on the line has already had his wage chopped. Cat closed a plant here where people were making $30/hr and moved it to Tennesee where they are making $14/hr. That is happening everywhere.

Do you like seeing all the boarded up shops and houses all over America. I don't but at $10-15/hr, who can afford to even own a house?

BTW, organized labour is responsible for a lot of the built up middle class over the last 60 years and without good wages, people could not afford to send kids to college.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast