Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size Heat Pump?

Post Likes
    Bama,

Thank you for your reply. I guess I did chose bad wording when I opened this thread. If it's any consolation, I downloaded the trial and will probably activate it today.
    The installer is a reputable Trane rep. in this area so I'm sure he does good work but I have found area's where his worker's have gotten shoddy. Several ducts had large gaps between the wall and rim of the duct behind the actual vent cover. The air would have blown into the wall there but I got them to fix it. They also failed to seal a hole cut out in the downstairs air return box. They used some black rubber like filler but it oozed out of the hole. I opened the air return grate and removed the filter to look inside and the insulation is hanging from the attached outer wall. Once the system turned on I would have had fiber glass particles blowing through the house.

Anyway, these are the things that have prompted me to question their workmanship.

Post Likes

There you go!

Now, that's the information that would make it understandable for you to question him. Good for you that you watch and keep an eye out.

In his defense, most companies I have worked for a person whose job it is to go behind the crews and look for just the sort of things you have found yourself. Keep watching, and stay involved. Good job on downloading the program, now you'll know for sure. And, HVAC-Calc has the best one-on-one help desk you've ever experienced, so if you have questions, ask.

Keep us up to date,

BC
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Post Likes
    Leedesert: Sorry if I came on a little strong. From reading your other thread, Am I correct this is a new home being built? I, now can understand your concern and being nervous.
    They probably put a builder's grade in your home. You have to request that upgrade.
    The architect or builder should have did a heat/cool load on your home. I am glad to see you doing your own load calculation. Sometimes they are undersized, especially the homes in my area.
    Hope you do well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    If I were having a house built, I would check up on the contractor's work too. You did not pick that contractor, your builder did. Your builder might have picked the best in town then offered him less money than he ussually gets. In new construction many corners are cut. You stay on top of them, and you will get a better house. Take a box of donuts out the the workers several times and you will get a better house. Try to look like them when you go out there. A suit will not get the workmen on your side. A pair of jeans will allow the men to think they can relate to you better. There was a privite home inspector that used to come around jobs that I was on. The builder did not know if he was a sub or not. He talked to us during breaks and bought us ice cream and gatoraid when the ice cream truck came around the job site (I bet they sell more ice cream at construction sites then playgrounds.) His clients got better houses because he found problem when there was still time to fix them.

Good luck with your new house. They do build them like they used to if you can make them.

Post Likes

Talking

Well Gentlemen, the numbers are in.

I went through the program and after getting some guidance from HVAC Calc's help line I've come to this conclusion. My system is fine.

The HVAC program says my Heat Gain is 30,507BTUH (2.5 Tons)and my heat loss is 25,647BTUH.

The system that was installed has two units. Each (upsatirs and downstairs) has a 2 ton heat pump for a total of 4 tons for the house.

The gentlemen who helped me from HVAC Calc said that I'm fortunate that they installed a dual zone system as standard. He said that more than likely my upstairs will do most of the work in the summer since the cool air travels down the open stairway. The opposite will happen in the winter.

He also said it was better to have two 2Ton units than one 3Ton unit covering the whole house.

Anyway, I gave you all that so I can say thanks. I kinda got off to a wrong start but I think you all have changed over time.

[Edited by leedesert on 01-30-2002 at 01:29 PM]

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Glad to see everything worked out for you. You are lucky, Two systems are not standard in NJ area, they are upgrades. You will be happier and the systems will be more efficient.
    You sound confident and pleased. Great!Enjoy your new home and keep those filters clean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in