+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot water boiler making banging noise

Post Likes

Hot water boiler making banging noise

Does anyone have a solution on how I can fix the pipes from banging. Some of the baseboards are new and some are existing. The holes where the pipes are running through are 1 1/4 and the pipe is 3/4. The customer says the banging is occuring periodically, and I don't know what else to do, it is very difficult to see where it is coming from. I know it is the pipes hitting on the wood as they are heating. Does anyone have a good solution for fixing this or has had a similar situation. The baseboards are all on drywall with all the pipes running in between the studs. i tried shoving insulation in the holes, but it is still making noise.

Post Likes

Does the boiler

supply domestic hot water or is it just used for heating?
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes

has indirect tank

has indirect tank with radiant floor heat and baseboards, the pipes bang in the baseboards, 2 rooms are original and 1 has been replaced. The system heats good all around also

Post Likes
    Let the midget out of the tank. He'll stop banging to get out.

Post Likes
    Is it a banging/ snapping or "expanding" noise? 2 different animals.

Post Likes
    it is banging according to customer, the first sound is the pipes expanding and heating up, kind of a normal ticking than goes away, and the system never does it all the time either

Post Likes
    When does this occur? Only during a heat cycle? When the customer is drawing water? Anytime? Usually tight clearances to heat pipes will give you a wood "creaking" noise. I would think your "banging" noise is being transmitted through the pipes...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke19 View Post
    it is banging according to customer, the first sound is the pipes expanding and heating up, kind of a normal ticking than goes away, and the system never does it all the time either
    Did you check your pressure and temp?

Post Likes
    Check your expansion tank. Seen a couple with bad bladders that were making noise through the system.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pykdfi
    Become a friend or fan on Facebook

Post Likes
    Trying to remember a similar issue from years ago. I believe, I found a zone valve installed backwards.
    I would also check the expansion tank, as suggested in post #9.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I had a similar problem with a steam coil.... Pipes where too small. (story of my life).

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Post Likes
    the pressure and temperature are good, 180 deg and about 17 psi, only happens during the central heat state, not all the time and it is the pipes creaking on the wood, and it doesn't do it on all the baseboards. Has anyone ever heard of putting an expansion isolator in, sort of like a vibration isolator you would find on a refrigeration system, it would go right in the baseboard itself, this is just a thought as I do not want to tear the walls apart to find the creaking, it is in different spots, only occurs when heating up, even tried to turn the water boiler temp down so it didn't heat as much, that didn't work either. I figure since this is caused by expansion, than maybe a vibration isolator could work, just thinking out loud, never had this before. The boiler sounds good during the radiant floor, and the domestic water stages. Checked the zone valves, installed correctly

Post Likes
    Have you verified that the Air bleeds work and are properly installed?

Post Likes
    Have you checked that your expansion tank isn't bad? You should only have water on 1 side of the internal bladder, if there is water where the air side then your tank is bad, thus not giving you any expansion capibilities of the system. Most residential systems don't have expansion isolators at the baseboards, you typically see these in commercial systems.
    Become a friend or fan on Facebook

Post Likes
    You describe as banging but have not witnessed the problem yourself, yet you are dead sure it's an expansion noise? From what you're stating, I don't see expansion noises making that kind of noise. Banging to me is a steam system with trapped water or a water system going to steam. Is it just one good bang when it happens or a series of bangs?

How old is the system? How long has it been banging, since day 1? Wood stops growing when it's cut down as a tree so unless the system is brand new, I'd doubt the pipe on wood analysis. Also, even if it were pipe on wood, it would (no pun intended) be consistent. You've stated it is not consistent so for a forced water system, I'm putting my money on a periodic slow acting high limit that allows the unit to break into steam on occasion. I'll stick me head out further and "guess" that this is a multi-zone system and when large zones are calling there isn't a noise but when the smallest zone calls for a period of time the boiler breaks into steam. Just as it steams, the high limit kicks off and the steam rapidly dissipates.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Have you checked to see if the plastic slides are installed under the fin tube against the fin tube supports for heat expansion and contraction? But that would make more of a clicking sound rather than banging sound

Post Likes
    what brand bolier
    is draft good have had banging cause from poor draft through hx causing a hot spot and water boils off

lime deposits in bottom of hx and water getting caught between the lime and the hx boiling off.

fix draft if it proves to be a problem

lime is a whole nother story and hard to resolve
    will lead to hx failor over time if not solved

Post Likes
    Is the piping to the rads all copper or is there PEX running anywhere. PEX will expand way more than copper or steel and if it is going through a hole it can make horrible squeaking noises. Otherwise, hard banging noises sometimes come from an undersized pump or one with a slightly damaged impeller and the flow has been reduced (but that noise will be at the boiler).

Post Likes
    When it is cold outside and the boiler begins to heat up , the first noise you hear is cracking for a minute or two which is normal, than you will hear a knocking but it is not crazy loud, none of the noise is extremely loud but for this guy it is, the knocking will occur everytime for a couple minutes and does it only when the boiler is heating up the baseboards, then it goes away and the sound is gone completely until the next time the baseboards heat up. There are baseboards in the basement and they don't make noise, the boiler is a high efficiency brand new boiler NTI, the basement radiators are all new, the system has been in for 1 year on a retrofit house, not all the pipes have been replaced in the walls on the 2nd floor, 1st floor is all radiant floor heat, 2nd floor is split up, half floor and half baseboard that was existing except for the 2 rooms. Can a monoflow tee possibly cause any of this? Thats the only thing I can think of that is different than from the original but he didn't live there before so who knows how long the noise has been there.

Post Likes
    piping is all copper going to baseboards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in