Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hot water boiler making banging noise

Does anyone have a solution on how I can fix the pipes from banging. Some of the baseboards are new and some are existing. The holes where the pipes are running through are 1 1/4 and the pipe is 3/4. The customer says the banging is occuring periodically, and I don't know what else to do, it is very difficult to see where it is coming from. I know it is the pipes hitting on the wood as they are heating. Does anyone have a good solution for fixing this or has had a similar situation. The baseboards are all on drywall with all the pipes running in between the studs. i tried shoving insulation in the holes, but it is still making noise.

Does the boiler

supply domestic hot water or is it just used for heating?
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

has indirect tank

has indirect tank with radiant floor heat and baseboards, the pipes bang in the baseboards, 2 rooms are original and 1 has been replaced. The system heats good all around also

Let the midget out of the tank. He'll stop banging to get out.

Is it a banging/ snapping or "expanding" noise? 2 different animals.

it is banging according to customer, the first sound is the pipes expanding and heating up, kind of a normal ticking than goes away, and the system never does it all the time either

When does this occur? Only during a heat cycle? When the customer is drawing water? Anytime? Usually tight clearances to heat pipes will give you a wood "creaking" noise. I would think your "banging" noise is being transmitted through the pipes...

Quote Originally Posted by zuke19 View Post
    it is banging according to customer, the first sound is the pipes expanding and heating up, kind of a normal ticking than goes away, and the system never does it all the time either
    Did you check your pressure and temp?

Check your expansion tank. Seen a couple with bad bladders that were making noise through the system.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pykdfi
    Become a friend or fan on Facebook

Trying to remember a similar issue from years ago. I believe, I found a zone valve installed backwards.
    I would also check the expansion tank, as suggested in post #9.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

I had a similar problem with a steam coil.... Pipes where too small. (story of my life).

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

the pressure and temperature are good, 180 deg and about 17 psi, only happens during the central heat state, not all the time and it is the pipes creaking on the wood, and it doesn't do it on all the baseboards. Has anyone ever heard of putting an expansion isolator in, sort of like a vibration isolator you would find on a refrigeration system, it would go right in the baseboard itself, this is just a thought as I do not want to tear the walls apart to find the creaking, it is in different spots, only occurs when heating up, even tried to turn the water boiler temp down so it didn't heat as much, that didn't work either. I figure since this is caused by expansion, than maybe a vibration isolator could work, just thinking out loud, never had this before. The boiler sounds good during the radiant floor, and the domestic water stages. Checked the zone valves, installed correctly

Have you verified that the Air bleeds work and are properly installed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast