Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    very cool.....haven't done much research on them yet....guess I've got to add to the list of reading material!!

I wonder if the static pressure drop is comparable to a typical tube and fin?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by La Air Man View Post
    I'm not a fan of the micro channel coils. I have found many leaks in the condenser coils(mostly coleman trailer condensers). Time will tell.
    I'm not sure a Coleman product is a good weather vane for the state of any technology....
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Experimental Research and CFD Simulation on
    Microchannel Evaporator Header to Improve Heat
    Exchanger Efficiency

"Obviously, the single inlet header concentratedly distributes refrigerant into middle portion of microchannel
    coil; the dual inlet header significantly improves the refrigerant distribution uniformity inside inlet coil header; and
    the distributor inlet header performs the most uniformed refrigerant distribution."

http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewc...0evaporator%22

Page 7.

And, it appears these microchannel coils feed on one end of the header, not the middle, which clearly wasn't even considered acceptable enough to be tested in that study.

Read the conclusions also. They highly suggest uniform distribution, for maximizing efficiency.

Keeping in mind, thats from 06.

I wonder if there is something INSIDE the header that acts as a distributer.
    Like Don, I have replaced one already.
    Plus we have installed one complete Microchannel inside and out system.

I give each client the "talk", keep it clean or else!

The static is the same (new).

The refrigerant feeds in the bottom header on one side, up and across the coil and out the header on the bottom on the other side.

We will be seeing them in HP soon, now that may be a trick?
    We'll see....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

3 ton C6 coil is .21 at 1200 CFM, the microchannel is .27 but compare that to .41 for a 3 ton Rheem N coil.

I just wonder if the "A" design is gonna be the best way to go with these. I'm sure manufacturers have tried other configurations, with having some interesting distribution challenges, there may be other configurations that are more effective.

I bet they are more effective in package units...

Anybody have any engineering data for these???

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm not sure a Coleman product is a good weather vane for the state of any technology....
    HaHa. Completely agree on that one, but the condenser coil on the coleman and on the trane xb300 look exactly the same. Are they made by each manufacturer or do they all purchase them from another company. Plus Trane requires them to be charged by a max temp or pressure instead of subcooling.

The XB300's coil is Chinese. Wonder if York & Nordyne make their own?

The Tappan system with the coil pictured is up & running. Had to go online for a piston charging chart since the manual from the outdoor unit was written when Nordyne called for a TXV inside.

With the experience I've had so far with microchannel coils I wouldn't install one on a bet. I'll change brands until there's no company left that doesn't use them before I ever install a microchannel coil for one of my customers.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

Care to elaborate Gary, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

What's the purpose of microchannel coils?

The one in the picture is as large as the standard coil.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

I've replaced between 25 to 30 leaking all aluminum microchannel outdoor coils under warranty this summer. Its left bad taste in my mouth for microchannel coils. The only reason for using them is to get the same heat transfer with less materials & less freon so its basically cheaper to make the units. I'll stick with the old stuff as long as I can.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

I stand beside gary on this one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast