Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still looking

I live north of boston near the new hampshire border and have been job hunting in this field since I finished training in february. I have contacted many places and they all seem to be in a holding pattern or looking for experienced personnel. I do contact companies every day but seem to be running out of ideas. Any help?

Thanks

I feel your pain. I recall facing similar circumstances when I first started out in this business and that was over 30 years ago.

I do not know the job market in your area nor do I know you personally but I can give you some advice.

You need to have a perfect professional resume that is clean, neat and contains absolutely no misspellings or grammar errors. It must be very professional looking. The resume is used just to get you in the door.

When you fill out the job application it must be neat with good handwriting and no misspellings or errors in grammar. Many people are rejected based upon a sloppy application or resume.

Then you need to work on your interview skills. Your interview skills will make or brake you. Contractors want people who are good communicators who can interface with customers well. They are looking for someone who is confident but not a know-it-all. I suggest that you go to the local library and get some books on job interviewing skills and techniques. You need to have some idea of what sort of questions you are likely to be asked and be prepared ahead of time with wise answers. There are books available to help you anticipate the typical questions and answers. You should also know something about the company you are trying to obtain a position with and have some questions for them as well. Asking the right questions indicates that you have done your homework and know enough about them to be able to ask a few good questions.

Asking about pay and benefits too soon in the interview is a killer. They will eventually bring that topic up without you having to do so yourself. If you bring it up early in the interview it looks as if money is all you care about. Job hunting and interview books will cover this topic as well.

Most companies are always looking for good people most of the time even if they don't actually have an ad out at the moment. Often when they say they are only looking for experienced technicians they are using this as a way to get rid of you without telling you the real reason they are not interested in you. The real reason may be that you did not make a good impression but they will not tell you that.

Norm

Summer is almost here.

Once the season breaks it will be so busy that a lot of contractors will hire anyone that can turn a screwdriver.

When the opportunity presents itself you will have the chance to prove your worthiness.

Good luck.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Thanks for the encouragement. As soon as it stops raining here the weather should warm up a bit and maybe things will start to change. thanks again.

the more contacts you can make the better the payback will be when the weather breaks..try some of these http://www.mepatwork.com/JobSeekerPa...teList/MA.aspx good luck consider the trip milage to those interviews as a factor in your quest if your willing to travel say 20 ...50 miles there will be more oppurtunity less within 20 miles.commercial companies hire your level more then residential companies keep that on the back burner and don't hesitate to ask what the company services and installs comm or resident mostly.that "light commercial" line means they dabble in it but do mostly residential

[Edited by maxster on 05-15-2006 at 07:02 PM]
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Come to Denver. You would be working tomorrow

Never ending

By reading some of these responses from new guys right out of school, it seems very difficult to land a job. Im from the Northwest Suburbs of Illinois. Lake and Mchenry Counties. How does the job market for this area look? Anyone Know?
    How about the the saying, "depending on the area you live, find out what is in need and focus on that area of the trade."
    How do I find out that kind of information?

Like grades are't enough to worry about.

COME TO CONNECTICUT START TODAY

how about these guys seems like a big company,they have to be putting on app/helpers with all that rest/comm service. http://www.mepatwork.com/company_pro...ile/1133360645
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Come to Florida, we're hiring.

dude if u want this, dont give up...i know do, its gonna be a year and i havnt found anything, just endless interviews, but still going. although i only have 4mnths exp its not enough....im not giving up, i still wake up to breath,sh@%& hvac... when u get your chance youll say to your self youve earned your stripes in this industry... look at supply stores man

Originally posted by NormChris

You need to have a perfect professional resume that is clean, neat and contains absolutely no misspellings or grammar errors. It must be very professional looking. The resume is used just to get you in the door.

When you fill out the job application it must be neat with good handwriting and no misspellings or errors in grammar. Many people are rejected based upon a sloppy application or resume.

Then you need to work on your interview skills. Your interview skills will make or brake you.
    I will assume you meant "break you" sir.

Talking

It finally happened. I was hired for a position with Johnson Controls which isnt a field position but it is a support position. I have my foot in the door and now I can work towards a tech. position while also learning about the trade. Thanks for all the help and encouragement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast