Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Nobody wants to be there. But we also do not want the place to backslide and become a training ground for terrorists either. How do you insure that does not happen (and also keep an eye out on the backwoods of Pakistan) if you are not there?
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Nobody wants to be there. But we also do not want the place to backslide and become a training ground for terrorists either. How do you insure that does not happen (and also keep an eye out on the backwoods of Pakistan) if you are not there?
    Hear what you are saying but if we stay then we need to remove those crazy rules of engagement and take the gloves off.

When in cowboy territory allow recon by fire and create vast areas of mountain regions as free fire zones after evacuating all the inhabitants there. We did this in Nam and it worked till the commie loving Democrats pulled the rug out from under us and we left while winning the war.

If a terrorist is captured not in a recognized uniform then give him a summary execution for fighting in civilian clothes. It has been done in every war up till now when we are fighting the radical Muslims.

Now if that is too much for the Afgan government then give them a choice like it or we will get the hell out and bomb targets as necessary to keep the terrorist down and don't let any one enter or leave Afgan without our approval or just bomb them form the air. Let's kick ass so to speak. Thank you, thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    These are the same people we provided stingers to when the russians were there in the '80's.

I agree. remember to take our flag on the way out, and flip them a finger. they can work out their own problems.
    I rather doubt we are dealing with different people, just that they now have other objectives...

The Stingers are now used against "us" instead of "them" ... could we give ourselves a break for being a bit stupid?

Sorry all, still PO'd about why we are still there (in Afghanistan)...

Here is the picture of Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. Looks normal and squared away to me. One can only wonder what went through his mind or what caused him to do that. They say he was drinking. That really must have set him off. You just never know. Thank you very muich

"I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Mental illness. Pressure at home..........his family was losing their home because she couldn't make the payments anymore. 4th Tour of duty for him and he met his breaking point. PTSD is going to be a major thing for decades to come, long after this war is over.
    KX500......the original big green meanie

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Here is the picture of Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales. Looks normal and squared away to me. One can only wonder what went through his mind or what caused him to do that. They say he was drinking. That really must have set him off. You just never know. Thank you very muich

Records show he owes $1.5 million from an arbitration ruling nearly a decade ago that found him guilty of securities fraud.

The ruling stemmed from a complaint by a Columbus, Ohio, man that Bales defrauded him and his wife while working as their stockbroker in 2003.

Bales' wife, Karilyn, offered her condolences to the victims' families and said Monday she wants to know what happened. She said her family and her in-laws are profoundly sad, and that what they've read and seen in news reports is "completely out of character of the man I know and admire."

About a year and a half after the complaint was filed, Bales enlisted _ just two months after 9/11.

His legal troubles included charges that he assaulted a girlfriend and, in a hit-and-run accident, ran bleeding in military clothes into the woods, according to court records. He told police he fell asleep at the wheel and paid a fine to get the charges dismissed.

In March 1998, Bales was given a $65 citation for possessing alcohol at Daytona Beach, Fla. He did not pay the fine nor did he defend himself in court. A warrant was issued for his arrest, but it later expired.
    http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/nat...69c2dd84d.html

I must look like an angel.
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

So printer when are you going to sign up. They let Canukes sign up and go to Nam back in the 60's. We need you over there. If you sign up I'll send you my good luck piece I carried with me over there.

It was a metal circle like a peace sign except it had WAR inside. Kinda dug it. Yeah printer you need to go there and let us know how it is. Don't waste any villages though. Thank you, thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

That is very disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, this is probably one of those souls who became unglued because of pressure, likely a lot of it self inflicted...

It's happened in all militaries before, and unfortunately will probably happen again...

So printer when are you going to sign up. They let Canukes sign up and go to Nam back in the 60's. We need you over there. If you sign up I'll send you my good luck piece I carried with me over there.

It was a metal circle like a peace sign except it had WAR inside. Kinda dug it. Yeah printer you need to go there and let us know how it is. Don't waste any villages though. Thank you, thank you very much
    Sorta like this one? Not being nasty, just had to find it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Doubt many armies would want a 50+ year old recruit with bad back, bad eyes, knees, carpel tunnel...

Quote Originally Posted by enb54 View Post
    Sorta like this one? Not being nasty, just had to find it...
    Funny emb you found it on the Internet. I couldn't find it anywhere nor have I've seen one since. Viet hawkers would sell them at small stores in base camps.

Most of us wore them in our unit and no one was wearing the peace metal at least among combat soldiers in the 11th ACR. Thanks for finding it there. Thank you, thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567