Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    17

    Getting tools to start with

    Hi, I am only in my first semester of HVAC class, but I want to start getting tools now.

    What I have:
    Fluke77, Inficon tek-mate leak detector, CPS scales CC220 Fluke therm temp gun 62, goss oxy acetylene toch, flaring tools basic hand tools, yellow jacket manifold gauges, uniweld air acetylene torch on the way from ebay(got it new with 2 tips a4 and a11 for 75.00) it fits a b tank.

    What I want next: acetylene b tank, low loss fittings for manifold set, fittings to fit car systems, vacuum pump, maybe get a recovery unit if I found a deal.

    My question is any suggestions on finding a used b tank arcet wants 175.00 just for the tank, and how about a robinair 3cfm pump would that be good enough for system of 4 ton and less?

    The b tank and the vacuum pump will be the end of my purchases for a while but anything else that is not to costly or a gotta have tool.

    Thanks for the advice

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,000
    If your going to work for someone when you graduate more then likely they will supply the tanks, recovery equip, and vacuum pump. May want to save your money for something else but your enthusiasm for good tools is nice to see..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mike357 View Post
    What I want next: acetylene b tank, low loss fittings for manifold set, fittings to fit car systems, vacuum pump, maybe get a recovery unit if I found a deal.

    My question is any suggestions on finding a used b tank arcet wants 175.00 just for the tank, and how about a robinair 3cfm pump would that be good enough for system of 4 ton and less?

    The b tank and the vacuum pump will be the end of my purchases for a while but anything else that is not to costly or a gotta have tool.

    Thanks for the advice
    Curious.....what do you need a "B" tank acetylene torch for?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    17

    What I'm up to

    Not planning on changing jobs, but may do occasional jobs in trade for friends and myself, I do electrical work currently, I am taking these courses and plan to get a journeymans card eventually, but I will set up my own shop for my use and eduacational purposes, I am currently working on a small window unit just to learn on, I got it from the dump (before they recovered the refrigerant). I will also teach my son some when he gets a few years older.

    Mike

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    17

    B tank because

    I just want the b tank with the air acetylene because that is what we use in school.

    Mike

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    north suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    520
    I bought a Btank years ago from that Trading Times paper. Not sure if your local Craigs list might have some

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    bedford ind
    Posts
    1,089
    check classifieds, pawn shops and craigs list. Around here , the pawn shops get new tools from drop-out students who buy the stuff with the free money they get for school

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    bedford ind
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Curious.....what do you need a "B" tank acetylene torch for?
    are you serious john? B tanks are used for soldering the pvc lines.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    north suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    520
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    check classifieds, pawn shops and craigs list. Around here , the pawn shops get new tools from drop-out students who buy the stuff with the free money they get for school
    Or out of our trucks! Before I finally put those honking puck lock things on they hit me 4 times. Take the sawzall, battery drill, hammer drill. I'll deal with it . Take my hand tools I don't know what I am missing till 2 am. I felt like putting signs on the windows. "Knock on door, I'll give you 2 hundred for your crack habit and see you next year"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by ironpit View Post
    are you serious john? B tanks are used for soldering the pvc lines.
    Mapp Gas torches are much easier to carry around.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Houston area
    Posts
    1,493
    You've got a nice start but you couldn't give me a "B" tank. Oxy/acetelyne is the way to go. Greasy low life plumbers us those "B" tank turbo thingys.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

    `. .` .>(((>

    `... `. .` .>(((>

    .` .>(((>

    LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    76
    I love my turbo torch I have a oxy/act and prefer brazing with the turbo torch. Its what I learned on and what I'm good with.

    If you got a harbor freight close they have empties for $80 get one there take it to the supply house and exchange it for a full one.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sherman, TX
    Posts
    9,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    You've got a nice start but you couldn't give me a "B" tank. Oxy/acetelyne is the way to go. Greasy low life plumbers us those "B" tank turbo thingys.
    I have two or three "B" tanks I'd give away...

    We use a Mapp gas torch for Sta-Brite #8, and oxy-acetylene for brazing.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event