Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pink Slime

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...N=US&TEMPLATE=

Article on topic, appears one should look for 'organic' and there is a taste difference according to author. I still would think a small local butcher shop should be able to get you the better stuff [no slime] too.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...N=US&TEMPLATE=

Article on topic, appears one should look for 'organic' and there is a taste difference according to author. I still would think a small local butcher shop should be able to get you the better stuff [no slime] too.
    If, I'm going to eat hamburger, I buy a chuck roast or sirloin tip roast and have the butcher put it in the grinder. I've seen hamburger meat made in Butcher shops, they take all the trimmings from the days sales and grind it up.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    If, I'm going to eat hamburger, I buy a chuck roast or sirloin tip roast and have the butcher put it in the grinder. I've seen hamburger meat made in Butcher shops, they take all the trimmings from the days sales and grind it up.
    Sounds like a clever Idea. I guess one could even buy one of those table-clamp grinders and do that at home. Probably have to buy one at an Amish source or survival store now, but I am sure they still make them.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Sounds like a clever Idea. I guess one could even buy one of those table-clamp grinders and do that at home. Probably have to buy one at an Amish source or survival store now, but I am sure they still make them.
    You can get an electric grinder at Bas Pro Shop

That is what I am thinking, switch to buying my meat from a small local packing plant rather than off the shelf at the grocer.
    We buy a steer from the 4H kids at the county fair. One stop shopping for beef for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
    We buy a steer from the 4H kids at the county fair. One stop shopping for beef for the year.
    Great idea, top quality meat too if you are willing to pay for it.

Does frozen hamburger cook up okay from that? My experience with hamburger meat [for the grill] is that it has to be fresh, never frozen or it falls apart. Of course, maybe I was cooking pink slime and did not know it.

Great idea, top quality meat too if you are willing to pay for it.

Does frozen hamburger cook up okay from that? My experience with hamburger meat [for the grill] is that it has to be fresh, never frozen or it falls apart. Of course, maybe I was cooking pink slime and did not know it.
    OK by me but I'm not real picky about stuff.

Its not too bad price wise. My kids were in 4H so I know how hard those kids work on their projects and I like to support them. The only drawback with buying an entire steer (or half if you split it with someone) is the selection of meat. You get everything whether you want it or not. I'd rather pay a little more and get some of the cuts I really want instead of looking in the freezer at a pile of stuff I don't really want. That's life though plus we usually give some away to family and friends.

Rotten Ronnie's

I thought it was something how Rotton Ronnie's released the info to the news about how they had been treating meat with chemicals to make it usable for human consumption. Only problem, they used up their supply of the chemical before pulling it off the market........How noble!!!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    I know, I'm not always in attack mode haha. FDA would have jurisdiction over the USDA, one would think. I think the FDA sets the food safety rules and the USDA enforces them (I'm speculating). I know when people find out they are being poisoned the FDA is the one that tells them everything is ok and to turn the Kardashians on and forget about it.
    FDA doesn't have control over USDA.

The FDA oversees: Safety and labeling for food, drugs, & makeup, drug approvals, biologics (blood supply, etc.), veterinary products, radiation-emitting devices (X-rays), and medical devices & products.

But not: Tap water, most booze, pesticides, and dietary supplements.

The USDA oversees: Brace yourselves. Agriculture, food and nutrition, education and outreach, laws and regulations, marketing and trade, environmental issues concerning food, development. Essentially, all food. No kidding.

But not: Most food safety. Again, with the exception of meat and some eggs, that falls to the FDA. The USDA website does include a TON of guidelines, however.

Nearly everyone is up in arms over pink slime. Yet most of the people crying foul eat hotdogs without complaint. Hmmm.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

I was just in the supermarket today and for the first time saw a pkg of fresh ground meat labeled beef/pork. That's odd. We make meatloaf with sausage but never seen the beef and pork mixed from a store.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

im going to go get me a 10 pack of chicken nuggets from mcd's tomorrow and think about you guys while i eat ........ yummmmmmmmmmm.

no really , i love them chicken nugget mystery meats.....

what fries my bird though is how selfish the restaurants have been getting with their condiments .

not just the fast-food joint either ..... took my wife to a mid -price steak house the other day ( the one where they throw the peanut shells on the floor.) and had to '' request'' honey-mustard , WTH? "okay ,ill ask once more and then no tip!"

but sir its not "MY" policy .... "well it is MINE! .......
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
    OK by me but I'm not real picky about stuff.

Its not too bad price wise. My kids were in 4H so I know how hard those kids work on their projects and I like to support them. The only drawback with buying an entire steer (or half if you split it with someone) is the selection of meat. You get everything whether you want it or not. I'd rather pay a little more and get some of the cuts I really want instead of looking in the freezer at a pile of stuff I don't really want. That's life though plus we usually give some away to family and friends.
    extra meat + boys and girls home = tax write off.
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast