Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

!!!Hi Voltage !!!

Since someone in here was talking about converting an electric car/truck, and since I'm also involved in this endeavour, I figured this would be intersting to all, for were watching a new paradigm in transportation that will change the landscape forever....

http://www3.wsiu.org/television/info...php?record=502

enjoy

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Since someone in here was talking about converting an electric car/truck, and since I'm also involved in this endeavour, I figured this would be intersting to all, for were watching a new paradigm in transportation that will change the landscape forever....
    Roy
    Roy, what would be truly a event which would change the landscape of the world and without requiring a questionable breakthrough in the use of electric trucks for heavy hauling or long distance traveling would be to get rid of the restrictions for development of all forms of energy and that is nuclear, gas, coal and oil.

We have more energy than we can ever use with are existing supplies. We don't need to waste more billions and trillions on pie in the sky, just take the handcuffs off the private sector.

Did you know that oil is still used to heat millions of homes like in the NE when we should be using "cheap" electricity from reasonable designed nuclear power plants for that. Don't need to go into all the ridiculous existing restrictions we have on mining and use of our nuclear and fossil fuels. That is my opinion and I am sticking with it. Thank you very much.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them."
    Barry Goldwater

Here is one already built for you.
    0 - 60 in under 5 seconds.

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

This would be cool.

Here is an eye opener.
    A Datsun.

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

I don't really care about the automotive industry as a whole, what Im interested in the Battery technology.

The better battery they make the more viable everything becomes.

The problem is, and they did address this somewhat, is cost.

Anywhere from $12000 to $25000 for batteries is ludicrous. AND you'll be spending that money every 4 to 8 years?

When they get the costs down, call me.

But, I do agree that innovation and improvements will come from the private sector. It will take one person/one car at a time to force big automotive to make the leap to a more cost effective longer distance car.
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Not to long ago there was research on using a flywheel to store electricity

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...ergy%20storage

This page gives lots of options

To me this is the way to go, as for storing electricity

I forgot to mention, I loved the guys T-shirt that read

"IT WAS ON FIRE WHEN I GOT HERE"

that just cracked me up
    "Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post

This would be cool.

Here is an eye opener.
    A Datsun.

The Tesla isnt available for the common man...lol, at over 100.000 bucks.

Plasmaboy is a member of our ev forum, and that thing is quick.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I don't really care about the automotive industry as a whole, what Im interested in the Battery technology.

The better battery they make the more viable everything becomes.

The problem is, and they did address this somewhat, is cost.

Anywhere from $12000 to $25000 for batteries is ludicrous. AND you'll be spending that money every 4 to 8 years?

When they get the costs down, call me.

But, I do agree that innovation and improvements will come from the private sector. It will take one person/one car at a time to force big automotive to make the leap to a more cost effective longer distance car.
    Give me your phone number, you can get batteries from CALB in Pomona CA for $1.25 an amp hour. Those batteries can be charged and discharged at 3C, thats 3 times its capacity. If we had the charging infrastructure similar to gas stations, driving long distances wouldnt be no problem.

I know when people first see my vehicle, the first thing that everyone asks is how far it will go, the fact is most driving is done under 50 miles, and getting 100 miles out of any lithium battery pack is absolutly no problem.

Anyone today with a little skill can convert most any vehicle to electric, and unless you have driven one of those conversions, I cant even describe what kind of an experience it is....we call it the EV grin.

Roy

What's our end game?

You take an EV. It's power comes from a 50% thermally efficient electric power plant, 20% loss in transmission, 30% loss in power storage and drivetrain specific losses. Or you have a 25-30% efficient hybrid with longer range and the option os plugging it in.

I still don't see how we're ready for a full-on EV or how such a massive investment n infrastructure is worth it when you can achieve most of the same gains with hybrids and have more conventional vehicles with more moderate sized battery packs.

It sort of reminds me on how many would spend $30k on repalcement windows for their home, when $4k worht of storm windows would give them 90% of the same results.

According to Wikipedia, "The D.O.E. reports that the lumped average efficiency of electrical production and transmission in the United States, electricity, is 0.303 while the efficiency of refining and distributing petroleum, egasoline, is 0.830."

So remember to apply a 17% penalty to gasoline, based on the energy cost of refining and transporting it.

I copied that from another site.....but you can google it. And I'm not even sure of that includes the power to get it out of the ground.

Btw ytou can take the same battery technonlogy and store electricity from solar and other such sources, and recharge a vehicle very quickly.

Roy

I guess I'm sometimes wondering why we need big subsidies for many new supposedly superiors and enrgy efficient technologies, when in hte past, new technologies were enbraced and could be sold on theri own merits. Why not let capitalism decide when technology we use.

If EV owners want the infrastructure ot charge theri vechiels, then let a large company invest the capital in recharging stations and the grid upgrades needed. Then pass that cost on to the consumer when they refuel. You mgith quickly see taht you price per KW-hr rises quickly to maybe $0.30 and isn't as lucrative as it seems even when using solar or wind power.

Same with the EV's themselves. IF prices get high enough, consumers will demand higher economy and pay for it.

They will first want less expensive and more practical hybrids, then eventually EV's for those that don't mind less freedom & convenience in terms of range.

Im interested in the batteries for solar storage. I have an off Grid cabin and Im using golf cart batteries now (2--6v in series)

I can run all the lights in the house with no problem, but Im always looking for better batteries that don't cost me a small fortune,

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post

This would be cool.

Here is an eye opener.
    A Datsun.

netflix has a documentary about these vehicles called "Revenge of the Electric Car" . watched it about a month ago.

its surprising how much car companies have invested in battery tech , and how long its been around.
    big corperations like GM,FORD,DIAMLER-CHRYSTLER are ready to take on the challenge .
    The general population though is not so keen on all electric cars........
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast