Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ABB ACH550 drive overcurrent fault

I have a building with four Carrier 48AJ RTU's. I believe installed in 2005. They each have an ABB ACH550-UH 10 hp drive. There are nuisance trips of "overcurrent" on these units. Different unit,different day,dfferent time. I was told this has been happening since the building was built. I have worked with ABB tech support. I checked and changed perameters per their advice(Accel,decel,volts,amps,hp etc.) I have an active case number open with ABB. I have talked with them four times now. They even had me put slightly different perameters in two of the drives.The problem still exists. These units are on a VAV system. It seems to happen at morning warm up or during setback when fan cycles. They may operate for two months o.k. then fail twice in a week. Fails .....different unit,different days.But,typically only one random unit will fail. I usually go to the jobsite one day a month. The customer logs the failures and manually resets unit by cycling power. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

How about a complete model number? Does it have a static pressure transducer? How come the ABB guy can't fix it?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

What is the deceleration time set to? If it is not set too low and the motor parameters are correct I would suspect a design and or control issue causing this.

Can the customer trend anything on the drives and the units? If so this might give you a better idea of whats going on. I would watch it in a morning warmup situation and see if the drives are reaching the current limit.
    Go Rangers!

It's the drive. Change it out. I had same issue. I didn't want to believe it was the drive. I learned the hard way.
    Local 449?

Quote Originally Posted by targetman View Post
    It's the drive. Change it out. I had same issue. I didn't want to believe it was the drive. I learned the hard way.
    If it was one drive maybe, but I doubt all four of them are bad with the same problem.
    Go Rangers!

Actually it's the motor , with the motor sitting pat the evaporator condensation is building up inside the motor and that's the theory. Plus I can see it happening more when the unit shuts down.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by lwarren View Post
    If it was one drive maybe, but I doubt all four of them are bad with the same problem.
    In my case the drive was bad from start-up.
    Local 449?

I would think moisture would cause a ground fault.
    Go Rangers!

4 bad drives?

Just set 3104 to "1" and be done with it.

Not always.
    UA 100

The very first units had Toshiba drives and they did the same thing. I always replace motor with a TEFC motor.
    UA 100

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    Actually it's the motor , with the motor sitting pat the evaporator condensation is building up inside the motor and that's the theory. Plus I can see it happening more when the unit shuts down.
    I agree with this statement had a job that 4 starting tripping days apart, changed motors to TEFC and never had issue afterwards. Same story, open ABB ticket, parameter changes, even had a rep come out.

change motor to drive compliant motor no more problems. Had the same thing new drive old motor would trip every few days till motor was replaced. Meg the motor you will see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast