+ Reply to Thread

Thread: End bell divider rotted!!!

Post Likes

End bell divider rotted!!!

I gotta York YCWS chiller that we took apart to punch the condensing tubes.
    The end bell with the divider has the dividing plate 1/4" eaten away across the entire edge of the divider. What's that all about? I told my boss that I think he may be over doing the chemicals a bit & he got a little ticked off & said it had nothing to do with it. What else WOULD eat it away?
    I'm a bit confused....
    He had one of the guys put a bead of silicone across it with some thin pieces of flat stock & said it should be O.K.
    I dunno what to make of it!

Post Likes
    Could be erosion, from the water flow. The possibility of this is even more likely if the chiller has marine water boxes. You may want to verify the water flow rate is not excessive. However, it is possible with proper flow. It's better to replace damaged plates. They can be fabricated in the field. Also, the channels the plate slides into are often damaged, and need replacing. They are field fabricated, too.

Post Likes
    I don't know how to say this gently...your boss is a hack. Silicone and flat stock won't repair a damaged pass divider.

Pass dividers can get eaten away be a couple of means. Under deposit corrosion can cause it. Erosion (as previously mentioned) can cause it. I have seen far more corrosion problems than erosion problems.

Corrosion is generally caused from not applying the proper chemicals in the proper amounts. Water chemistry is a specialized field and requires accurate testing and monitoring. Sounds like that isn't being done on the chiller in question.

Post Likes
    Why would the divider plate on a marine water box corrode faster?
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Post Likes
    that flat stock is now beating your tube sheet to death.

Post Likes
    I do believe all those division plates on a York are welded in place there is more work involved to repair , improper water treatment doesn't help , a anode can slow this process from happening and should be inspected and or replaced per season.
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    Your boss has no business touching chillers. He sounds like a complete idiot.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Repair/replace then have it epoxy coated by professionals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Peztoy View Post
    Why would the divider plate on a marine water box corrode faster?
    Erode, not corrode. With a marine water box, water enters the head at a steep angle relative to the divider plate (from the side), where without a marine water box the water enters parallel to (in line with) the plate. You can probably visualize in one case the water "blasts" against the plate, and in the other water flows "along" the plate. I've seen a handful of plate failures in marine water boxes, and don't recall any in standard water boxes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steveoo View Post
    that flat stock is now beating your tube sheet to death.
    And if "thin" also means narrow.... pieces of it may be inside a tube(s), beating it (them) to death! Leading to death of the chiller!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Your boss has no business touching chillers. He sounds like a complete idiot.
    Bold words for one that packs a lil' 10mm....How about his boss is "Absolutely a Complete Idiot" and should stick to the office part of his job..
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    on the positive side as long as there are people like that we will always have a job....Just had one on a mquay corrode though most of the plate at the weld, cut it out replace it with new metal and have it coated as already mentioned

Post Likes
    I feel better now. thanks

Post Likes
    remove and replace.,

A small piece of stock???

You boss needs some schooling.,
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in