Thread: Some Basic Questions , thanks

Post Likes
    first of all hello - and thanks !!
    I live in Dallas Texas in a downstairs 1480 sq' condo - the fromt faces the west and I get a lot of evening sun till about 1hr to 1hr 1/2 before sunset. I guess from reading I have a split unit - the outside is a Trane with a round type spiral fins - The inside coil is original from 1978 I assume , but the blower motor dual blades was replaced in 07-04. The maintenance guy is a waterhead and dosnt know how to use a caulk gun let alone how to work on AC - The coil was just cleaned,"by me" using a soft nylon brush and some toothpicks -- its up in the ceiling in a access panel it was pretty easy to clean. I would say about 60 to 70 % obstructed by moldy looking black lint. This stuff is all over me as we speak. I have come to the conclusion that I too am a waterhead regarding HVAC, or I have just never asked or attempted to learn. Living in Texas I would think would be pretty lucrative and rewarding for a honest person. That is probably the main reason I am writing in this forum. The maintenace man recharged / added freon to the unit to 78 on the high side " I assume this is the high side" he tried to add more but it just stopped at 78. I believe the low side was around 40. I have disassemled the unit outside to clean off all the Coton Wood crap that was covering the fins on the ?. I have placed insulation on the line outside completely about 20 inches long as well as a brand new air filter " a high rated one". so here comes my questions and thanks to anyone listening to me

If it is 93 outside and I can cool the house to a comftorable 70-73 degrees should I stop while i am ahead ?

Does freon go bad ?

Can you just charge a unit with freon, and stop or is there more to it like recycling / removing the freon from the lines and placing a vaccum on the system ? and charging with new freon ?

Is the rule of thumb about cooling 20 degrees cooler than outside about normal / good

The house seems to retain heat - surface heat/humidity ! is this because the unit has never been serviced properly ?

Would it be a benefit to have a independent union worker come to my house and check out the system ? and If so can someone make recomendation ?

How cool should the air blow out of the vents ?

The cold line outside has a large round tube on it, what does that do ? why are there schraeder valves on it ? CORRECTION it says suction coil on it has 2 caps on it

What is the reason for the coil cleaner/chemical . is this for outside or inside -

thanks , have a great day !!!

thanks

[Edited by charles_foy on 05-12-2006 at 09:37 AM]

Post Likes
    1. What does it mean by 'should I stop while I am ahead'? Do you mean 'should I stop the unit though it goes on running'? If then, just set the thermostat to 70 and just forget it.

2. Generally, freon doesn't go bad. It is almost inert except for open flames.

3. You can generally top up freon. If the leakage is severe, remove it totally, braze, vacuumize and then charge fresh freon.

4. Yes.

5. Can't say. May be improper design also.

6. Can't comment. I am not from your geography.

7. 60 to 65 should be good.

8. If the large round tube is non metallic, it can be insulation or may be a conduit. I don't know what a schraeder valve is. May be isolation valves(?)

9. Coil cleaner can reach places where your hands can't go. Mostly for inside coils. Can clean as well as keeps a check on biogrowth.

Regards,

Post Likes
    yes

r22;no

yes,common practice on fixed metering device; yes if major repairwork performed

20 is a common design delta between od/id

possibly

it could possibly; but don't know anyone

12 cooler than return considered a/c (barely)

insulation; 1 reason prevents condensate damage; access port for hoses

i.e. tough dirt, grease, wax, etc. removal but not cottonwood on aluminum spine fin coil (spine fin looks like Charlie Mansons' hair do)

they make both biggest difference either acid or alkaline

Post Likes

Hmm some basic questions

Call a qualified tech to check out your system.

Post Likes
    read LOTS herein --

be careful of filter selection -- "better" filters most often are more dense = less air flow, so screw up a system!

determine if a 4" thick filter box could be installed, then use that type, thickness.

bending fins is bad. most fins are aluminum, so select cleaners carefully.

too much humidity many times = too large system, leaving fan "on".
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Post Likes
    3 WORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIRE A PRO

Post Likes
    Charles, are you clear or need more help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in