Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You are using the wrong tools. Your company needs to spent the money if they want to work on chillers. I feel for you.

Lol no doubt, it's been a fun ride. Getting too old for this, still here trying to get parts coming. Gotta love them emergency all nighters. It's Friday and everyone is gone. Thrust bearing wiped pretty bad, got a call in with RCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

How does the impeller look? Did it get by unscathed???

Yes, impeller looks good. Replacement parts coming in. Going to head that way and check and clean out oil sump

Talking

Your profile states you've been in the field for a while but mainly with "low pres" experience. Not knowing how much exp. you have with the XR's, I want to give you a heads-up that the XR's have a very specific impeller spacing procedure. I actually found the pertinent Carrier SB (SB C0405) performing a web search (look for "19XR/XRT impeller spacing procedure"). Also know, that in order to set/measure the proper thrust brg. clearance, a tool is required to be installed over the high speed shaft and held in place with washers and impeller bolt (a pipe cut to proper length can be used) to simulate the impeller installed on the shaft OR A FALSE READING WILL BE MEASURED... Good Luck...

Thanks for the heads up, I found that service bulletin today. Yes it will be my first high pressure 19 series. Very similar to the Old D machines. I take it that the gear set is not match ???

There are many similarities between the 19D's and 19X's but the gearsets are not the same... Any updates?

Yes, replaced the Thrust Assm. and recalculated impeller clearance. Cleaned out the oil sump and pump, replaced all filters and oil. Started her up and checked operation, found out customer has a flow issue that is being addressed and a misunderstanding of the chiller's operation. More will soon follow, very busy right now

Another way, you can recover the existing refrigerant gas to empty cylinders by vacuuming the empty cylinders. After cylinders are in vacuum pressure, you can connect the hose through the 1" valve; below the cooler shell.

For this purpose you might need 20 cylinder of 56Kg.

Sorry, I dont really get it. What do you meant by "customer has flow issue"?

Quote Originally Posted by henpeck View Post
    Ok as I'm setting here transferring refrigerant, what would be the equipment you would use size 5 - 19 xr with a 1360 # charge of 134a. To inspect your thrust bearing. ????

You mean u didn't just blow it into a bucket?
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

United refrigeration will rent you a pump out. I usually use a nrp liquid pump and then pull vapor once liquid is transferred. And make sure you have water flow when you get to freezing sat temp.

I tried blowing the oil charge in the bucket, but was over come with oil/refrig vapor at first and it made me light headed. Not to forget about the oil that started blowing up out of it everywhere, I guess should have throttled that 1/2" angle back a-little. :-)....on a serious note: the refrigerant was supposed to be already transferred to the high side when I got to the job after hours. Our shops high pressure recovery was down and I had no idea how much was transferred at that time. But yes I should have opened up united refrig. and got their rental equip and been fine. It just gave me time to get and set up rigging. To cover the low flow issue, after repair I started the chiller and started checking and trouble shooting I found out real fast that there wasn't very much load for the chiller and it was doing a 10degree delta T at like 48% rla. Got flow issue and building automation control problem straightened out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast